News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bypassing heater core, etc.

Started by 52Cadillac, August 26, 2012, 11:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

52Cadillac

Hello, can I connect the water pump hose to heater core and the head cylinder hose together with a 3/4 connector? I'll then leave the other two hoses connected to heater? One must go to under seat heater, and other to the defroster?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

R Sotardi #11719

Mike, what are you attempting? To bypass the heater altogether? The water flow goes from the left (driver) side of the engine head into the  front heater valve ( aka Harrison /Ranco) inside the defroster "box". If the valve is opened ( on dash with either lever) the water flows to the under seat heater inlet, then out again to the inlet ( closest to the left fender) on the defroster box. The water ciculates through the defroster core comes out the other defroster nipple(center)  and returns to the water pump. If you wish to eliminate both the heater & def, just remove the  short hose to the inlet valve behind the left head and connect the water pump line to the nipple at the rear of the head.  But,why ? I removed the defroster  line by using a 5/8 hose mender, so water does not enter the defroster core, only the  underseat heater core. But, you must have the water from the head pass through the valve or hot water will always circulate  through the floor heater making a new meaning of the word uncomfortable. Ron 1950 /6219

52Cadillac

Well, I'm attempting to circumvent my ignorance on this matter.
Seriously, I had uncomfortable hot air hitting my feet at speed. I would also notice the center dash heating up (that may be from the windshield heating up from the sun). I haven't taken time to figure it all out. I just thought I would bypass the whole affair until weather starts to cool off, since I've been delayed in Texas for a several more days.
I did loop the pump and cylinder head hoses together yesterday to bypass unit.
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)