News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle 322 engine Rebuild

Started by csearider, August 26, 2012, 11:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csearider

I want to rebuild my 322 engine flathead V8 to maintain authenticity and am calculating costs. I need to know know what is a fair estimate of labor costs for such a project. This will be a complete breakdown out of vehicle for block  with removal and return. The tranny is fine, but out of vehicle the clutch will be replaced. The most difficult thing about having non-shop work done is the compensation for labor...not enough and your a cheapskate, too much and you are a target. I plan on purchasing all parts and taking care of any machining expenses directly and this cost is easily calculated. However, the labor cost is the question. Does anyone have an estimate for such a job, # hours, etc.? Chilton manual shop estimate?

I have a real mechanic in late sixties that is a jack of all trades when it comes to equipment and has been working on engines and restoring cars since he was 14 years old and have complete confidence in his abilities. Anyway look at the alternative of taking to a normal repair shop where there is virtually no experience with older systems and in this case would be the owners two kids that are no more older than plastic vibrating disposable razors. I want to walk away from the job knowing the mechanic is well satisfied and not feel like I took myself for a ride.

Any advice will be appreciated.

The other question I have is this a worthwhile project. I mean that in terms of I am constantly running into restorations where the engine has been upgraded to a small block. Is there a major mechanical reason folks want to do this for A/C or power and what recommendations would be given for sticking to originality?

csearider

Here is some info I received locally:

Personally, I would opt for a “turn key” rebuild with an entity having responsibility for the whole job and have a warranty of some sort.  Of course, finding such a person/company is the problem.  I do not know of any that I would recommend locally

If you get some recommendations, I would get price comparisons (total price if you go with “turn Key” or hourly rate comparisons for your scenario.

As far as putting a small block into it; that would make it “non-original” which is fine unless you want to get into judging for originality like AACA requires.  That would be up to your personal preference.

I hope this make sense.

John

harry s

John, It is really hard to estimate a price for rebuilding an engine such as yours. The main reason is the unknown. Is the mechanic you describe the same one that will remove and install along with the machine work? An estimate of time to remove the engine from the car is roughly 4 to 5 hours. The next step is to disassemble the engine for cleaning and checking tolerences or you can send the short block along with the heads to the machine shop and let them do it. If you are lucky you can get away with replacing rings and bearings or you may find you need to bore the engine, turn the crankshaft and replace all the internal parts This is where the difference in price comes in. Installing the engine usually takes a couple of hours longer than removal. Where do you live and do you have machine shop services lined up? What body style is your car? A good running, original LaSalle is a really neat car.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

csearider

Harry....very good info....I appreciate your input and response...very helpful