News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Options for replacing electronic shocks on 99 Eldorado ETC

Started by 76eldo, August 27, 2012, 06:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

One of the great things about a late 90's Eldorado Touring Coupe is the sophisticated Electronic Road Sensing Shocks. However, when they go bad, replacements are about $600 per side.

I'm not a stickler for a high performance ride and don't know of I would even notice the difference in a standard shock.

There's a company called Arnott that sells replacements for about $300 a set.
There is an air fitting and an electrical connection to trick the computer into thinking that the OEM unit is in place.

Anyone ever try these?

I am pouring cash into this car and need to replace a leaking shock.

Used ones are another option.

Just curious to see what others have done with this problem.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

936CD69

Brian, Mike J just installed those on his 95 STS and was pleased. There is a thread devoted to it, last post a couple weeks ago.

Craig
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

936CD69

Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

76eldo

I posted this a while ago and I wanted to update the post in case anyone is having problems with the OEM air struts on an Eldorado Touring CP or Seville.

My car was rocking side to side going over bumps and dips in the road.  While I was having other work done I was told one of my rear shocks was leaking.  Not sure if he meant air or the super special magnetic fluid, but I bought a pair of replacement rear shocks from Arnott Air Suspension Products and installed them on the car tonight.  Huge improvement and a great ride.
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_yid6_pid49_gid149.html

The hard part is getting the old shocks off.  The upper mount is a nut on a stud that comes through a hole in the upper shock mount.  You can see all of this when you pull the wheels.  There is a hex or Torx female opening in the top of the shaft and you are supposed to use this to keep the shaft from spinning when you put a wrench or a socket on the nut.  Trying to break that loose only resulted on the Torx head stripping out.  We ended up using a cut off wheel to cut off the nut on both sides.  I bought new nuts at a nearby Sears Hardware.

Then it seemed as though the new replacements were too short.  You need to pull them out quite a bit to extend the shock so that it is tall enough to fit back into the correct spot.

Reconnect the wiring and the air line, and drop the car down, and they pump up when you start the car, and I took about a 5 mile ride over some bumps and dips and the car is nice and level and handles great.  I also replaces the front sway bar links which had play on the left side, and the right side was bent a little.  I replaced them with Moog parts that have a grease fitting for longer service life.

I got the Arnott shocks on ebay from Arnott's Ebay store for $299.00 for both rear shocks.  The OEM Delco units would have been about $600 each, which is a LOT of money,  The front sway bar links and the rear brake pads came from Rock Auto.  Order right off of their website, you can't beat their prices.  I support my local auto parts stores in the area, but the sway bar links and Delco pads were about $160.00 as compared to about $260.00 locally.  Big difference.

So far the car feels great, so these Arnott replacement parts seem to be a good alternative to the stock units which are very expensive.  Luckily, the rubber bushings on my car were still good.  I didn't realize that the new shocks didn't come with new nuts and bushings, so you may want to also get these kits when you buy the shocks.  Arnott doesn't offer these, so you need to get stock replacement parts for the upper rear shock mounts.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)