News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1975 Sedan DeVille service questions after 33 years of storage

Started by thevinylking69, August 31, 2012, 06:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thevinylking69

Hello, I just bought a '75 SDV that has been sitting in storage since '79 and has 23k miles on it. Besides changing the oil, oil filter, plugs, belts, fuel filter, and tans fluid are there any other things that need to be replaced or areas/ that need to be serviced/checked/calbrated after such a long rest?

Any assistance on the matter is greatly appreciated,

Chuck

Dave Shepherd

The entire brake system for sure including necessary component replacements and flush the brake system.  I would drain the diff also. Flush the cooling system make sure the radiator is not rusted out along the bottom of the core, Animal infestation must be looked at. Look close at all the hoses, drain the tank clean it out best possible. The carb should be overhauled or cleaned out. Of course the tires are done. Careful on start up, I would try and find a way to prime the engine, maybe pull the dist if the pump is driven off it and get a priming rod in there with a drill, or spin the engine over with everything fresh and the plugs out. Battery also of course. Don't be in a rush here, there are a lot of things to consider.

thevinylking69

Thanks, but could there have been any serious damage caused by neglecting those services and just firing it up? Because that is what the previous owner did, I bough it running and driving with nothing changed but the oil, oil filter, fuel flter, and tires (so I was told). And it ran, rode, and shifted like a dream even in 4 lane. Is that even possible with old fluids, plugs, and belts? Or is it likely that they are newer than i believe?

Dave Shepherd

Possible only the minimum was done, but like I mentioned thisis the 100% right way to go thru a car stored 33 years, if not done yes it will run and drive but things are going to eventually act up regarding the lack of required work, especially fuel and brake systems.  Maybe other things were done but you do not know without receipts or some kind of proof. In my shop, what I listed would be strongly adviced with any customer in the same position.

cwcinps

I would change the rubber fuel lines.  The new gas will eat those old hoses up quick and you dont want to risk any issues with gas on the engine.  Been there done that.
Chris

1957 Coupe deVille
1976 Convertible Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would be pulling the sump off and cleaning it, and the oil pump out, and also be prepared to replace the petrol tank, as it might not be possible to totally internally clean out the resultant varnish.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gary griffin

TIRES

If the tires are too old to have a date manufactured code on them you really should get new ones.

Google tire date codes and you will see the logo that should be on the tires and if they are there you will know the age of the tires.  The manufacturers tell us we need new tires every five years but  I don't know how much of that is just to sell more tires. 

I would not recommend driving a two ton down the freeway with real old tires even if they had 99% of their tread remaining.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

TJ Hopland

Yep all the hoses which include all 3 brake hoses and the fuel lines including the ones back at the tank.  They can be done without dropping the tank.  Another hose that is often missed is there is a very short piece of heater hose from the back of the right head to the water control valve.   The rest are pretty obvious. 

Most likely after you get it running and put some miles on it other leaks are going to pop up but you can get some miles on it to see how much you like it and what else its going to need before you have to deal with that stuff. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason