News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Cadillac Transmission question

Started by MJF1969LA, September 02, 2012, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJF1969LA

Hi, I need to know a little bit about how to actually drive a 1953 Cadillac.  I was told that these cars had automatic transmissions but there was also a type of clutch that had to be used in order to move in and out of Drive/Reverse etc.  Can somebody walk me through how a person would fire up and drive one of these models?  I just need to know the basics for how to operate this car.  Thank you.

Quentin Hall

There were two types of boxes used for 53 after a fire at the hydramatic plant on Aug 12 of that year. My 53 Eldo was built on that day and it is 80 000 odd off the line. After the fire the stocks of hydramatics were depleted so they were rationed on the remaining series 75s and Eldorados. Subsequent models built after the fire relied on Buick Dynaflow boxes.
I have not driven a dynaflow only Hydramatics.
     The hydramatic does not have a individual park select. When parked the select  should be moved to reverse. To start, place it in neutral. The neutral safety switch should preclude it starting in any other gear.  Start in neutral then select forward or reverse.   
    I know Paul Allen has a dynaflow; so over to you Paul.  ;) Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

MJF1969LA

Thanks so much for the quick response.  The 1953 would be a model from early in the year. 
My Mom was telling me that cars of that era (automatics) had a type of clutch on the floor which required you to engage it once in order to "unlock" the transmission for movement in and out of Park/Drive/Reverse.  Unlike a manual that requires you to be on and off the clutch.  (I think she is talking about a Plymouth but just checking to see if that was the same situation with a Cadillac of that era.)

So basically, no clutch?  You get in, move the car out of Reverse (which is the park mode) into Neutral.  Once you do that you can turn the key and start it up which now allows you to either stay in Reverse and backup or move the car into Drive.  Sound right?  To turn the car off do you kill the power and simply move it into Reverse?  (Park)  Exit the vehicle?

P W Allen CLC# 20193

There is nothing I can add. Quentin has it right. I think your mother was thinking about the early 50's Chrysler Corp cars that had a semi automatic trans with a "Safety" clutch pedal. No such animal in GM cars.
Here's a photo of a 53 Cad with Dynaflow shift quadrant. Note the "P".

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

MJF1969LA

Thank you to both of you for the help.  I live in Los Angeles and I'm working on a project that requires I understand how to operate a 1953 Cadillac.  I will certainly thank you both down the line-in print- when the project is complete!  This is a great website-makes me want to buy an old Cadillac!  Thanks again.

Quentin Hall

G'day J Ford and Paul,
     Glad we could help. To help in your project "How to operate a Cadillac" you may need to add a subsection on ,

Finance : you will need three jobs and a substantial  inheritence to indulge.
Relationships : you must end all personal relationships unless it involves an ebay transaction.
Mental Health : you will slowly find more interest in part serial numbers  than your children's progression through school.
Personal Hygene : you will gradually take on the odor of a mechanics workshop and give up on your appearance.

But in my mind you couldn't start with a better year than 1953. You do know that Henry Ford built the first Cadillac prototypes in 1902? So with that I urge you to consider buying one. I can see the headline... "Ford buys Cadillac" haha. Q            .
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

MJF1969LA

Gorgeous cars and yes, Ford will buy a '53Cadillac if my "project" gets picked up.  I wish I could tell you more but keep up the good work.   These cars are worth it.