News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Any Interest in Seeing A 500+ HP Cadillac Flathead Build Details?

Started by 38FLATTIE, September 03, 2012, 08:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

38FLATTIE

It was suggested on the modified board, that I post details of this engine here.

Before I do, let me say that I realize that many here will not like or approve of this 'hotrodded' engine.

If anyone does want to see it, I will post up details just to show what is possible, and to show these old engines REALLY out do the old Fords!

This engine made 570HP, 544 ft/lbs torque on the dyno, and ran 165.949 mph at Bonneville.

...and yes, I have videos! :)
BUDDY WALKER
38 LASALLE COUPE
THE FLATCAD

pcb50

Absolutely. I would love to see how you got to that power level and held it together. With a rebuild in my future, l'd like to make 200 HP in a reliable street engine.  Paul

A_
1946 62 sedan

harry s

Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

gary griffin

Very nice, but it makes me wonder how much power can be obtained without a blower?  It would be so cool to have a stock Cadillac coupe or Lasalle with a hot authentic modified engine in it. Obviously one would save the original engine for future authentic restoration.

Would not be the fastest car around but what we used to call a "Sleeper"

I guess the hot rodder of the 50's is still with me but dormant.

Also it may be nice to have a little more power in a driver.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

kkarrer

I really like those heads.  A buddy of mine who builds Y blocks and flat head Fords was just out at Bonneville a couple of weeks ago (Ted Eaton).  They made a pass in a 39 Ford at 146mph with no blower.  I thought that was pretty amazing.  Like Gary, I'm wondering what could be done w/out the blower on that thing.

I have another question that some of the modified or just regular flathead guys might answer.  I had a good bit of noise coming from my lifters and found that they'd been oil starved because some dummy didn't clear the lines when they did the rebuild.  The lines are clear now and I'm running SAE30 Valvoline with some STP.  I replaced two of the lifter bodies (they were late '48's) and all 16 of the lifter assemblies with parts from Terrill Machine.  Things have quieted down especially when the engine is cold, but it's still not as quiet as it should be especially when the oil warms up.  I have good pressure at the gauge and good volume when I break the feeder line at the lower part of the block and crank the engine.  The lines between that point and the lifters are clear.  I'm thinking now that the clearance between the valve stem ends and the lifter ends may be too great.  Does any one have any ideas on this?
Thanks,
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

38FLATTIE

Ok, guys, I'll start posting details and pics.

First, on the NA engine-I think 300+HP is very doable on these engines, maintaining a fairly stock appearance. Dual exhaust, and more carburation would be the main visible changes. You could modify a stock intake, for more carburation, like I did in the pic.

The block would need to be heavily ported, and a cam in the .450" lift range added. With a little work to the rotating assembly, and rebalancing, these engines will spin 5500, and survive! I'm going to build one next, and will give you build details, and dyno results. I think you should be able to run 150 mph N/A.

My blown engine is a full race engine, built to propel the '38 chevy coupe 190+ mph. I'll post some parts details, then post some in depth descriptions of the parts and engine mods in the days to come.

Here it is on the dyno-this run was 496HP.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89rVb497_4c&feature=youtu.be

The crank is a custom billett Crower crank, stroked to 4.625".
Cam is a .525 lift Bullet cam, 270 duration at .050" lift.
Crower steel rods
Venolia forged pistons.
Block is very heavily ported, bored 3.552"
Lfters are early Chrysler mushrooms, and the lifter blocks are sleeved with brass
Donovan BBC raised block gear drive (crank moved up in block .0272")
Main bearings are 2.75" BBC
Rod bearings are 2.25" SBC
Has block girdles on top and bottom of block.
Barnes dry sump oil pump.
Vertex Magneto
Custom heads
6-71 blower
Chiller style intercooler
Enderle Bird Catcher mechanical fuel injection

We set 2 records at Bonneville this year, with a slipping clutch, with our fastest run being 165.949 mph.

XXO/BVGCC-149.252 mph
XXO/BVGALT-154.832 mph

Not bad for a 1940 engine! The vintage class requires an engine swap, so I could not put the engine in the Lasalle- therefore, I used the '38 Chevy.

BUDDY WALKER
38 LASALLE COUPE
THE FLATCAD

62droptop

sweeet

love the idea of using a cadillac motor to go fast

gives the street car guys something to look forward too

you can never have too much power, you can always let off

Gene Beaird

Beautiful engine, beautiful car, even if it is a Chevy.   ::)

With the exception of the negative rake to the chassis, it looks like you can't use much aerodynamics.  How did that big lump of metal handle at 165? 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

38FLATTIE

We are allowed aero mods in /BVGCC, but bnot /BVGALT. Next year, we will have bolt on aero mods for /BVGCC

At 165mph, the car handles like a dream-I'm not afraid to try and push it to 190+!

We started the build with a 1940 block, and heavily ported it.

We then added a billet Crower crank. We are limited to 375 CI in the XXO class, and we wanted to leave ourselves one overbore, so we bored it to 3.55", and stroked the crank to 4.625"

Because we wanted to be able to buy some stuff over the counter, the main bearings are BBC 2.75", and the rods are SBC 2.25". The smaller rod size also allowed us to get the straight cut steel rods through the bores!
BUDDY WALKER
38 LASALLE COUPE
THE FLATCAD