News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Odd gas gauge behavior on my 73

Started by TJ Hopland, September 03, 2012, 10:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

The last few years the gas gauge on my 73 Eldo has started acting strange.  When the fuel level in the tank is at or below 1/4 when I first start the car or just turn the key on the gauge reads 1/8.   It will stay there for about 5 minutes.  Does not matter if I am driving, engine running or not it takes about 5 minutes before it starts to read normally.  Once it starts moving its totally normal.  At first I just thought its getting old so its likely just something starting to 'go'.   Now where it gets more interesting is if I am above 1/4 tank its always fine, no signs of a problem.  I have had cars where there is a sticky spot on the float but in this case just sitting with the key on will eventually fix it so if it was a stuck float how would it suddenly get un stuck just turning the key on and waiting? 

Its not really a big deal, just another quirk of this old car but I do wonder if at some point its going to get worse. 

Open to hear any thoughts.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

waterzap

Not sure if this is the same problem, but my Corvette fuel indicator would act up periodically. Apparently something about sulphur in the fuel. Technon additive was recomended. Worked for me and many other guys.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/2738639-fuel-gauge-drops-to-empty.html
Leesburg, AL