News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Auction America at Auburn Indiana

Started by 936CD69, September 03, 2012, 11:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

936CD69

It's a Labor day tradition for my best friend and I to spend at least one day at the ACD Festival/ auction in Auburn. Yesterday we had to deal with the remnents of Issac, started out foggy when we arrived at 8A, I don't believe the humidity dropped below 80% all day. I am lucky we only live about 45 minutes from the venue, and more lucky we didn't have to open our umbrellas once! Sunday attendance couldn't have been more than 30% of past, both in public or cars and parts. I am interested if anyone was able to go Saturday to see if it was better then.

Cadillacs were well represented, outnumbered only by Olds this year. It's my understanding that a private Olds collection sold at no reserve. Cars of interest:

1. 1938 series 75 V-16 5 passenger formal
2. 1940 series 72 Formal, very nice
3. maroon 41 convertible sedan and a color matching
4. 41 convertible coupe
5. 49 series 61 coupe in a pearl gray, sorry I don't know the correct color name. It was absolutely gorgeous in every detail, and my favorite at the show. Hydra matic car with partial original interior (rear compartment)
6. 53 series 62 sedan, 2 tone green, nice
7. 54 series 75 8 passenger sedan, mostly original, paint not perfect but too nice to strip!
8. 56 series 62 convertible, black with tan leather, perfect
9. 59 series 62 convt, red
10. 60 Eldorado, this car was as nice as the 49, a light golden tan. One of at least (3) 60 convts
11. 65 Calais coupe, documented 27K miles, sweet
12. 70 Deville convt, dark green, awesome driver
13. 75 Calais, very low miles, optional "expanded vinyl" interior in black
14. 75 Coupe deville, announced as 16,500 miles and looked it, all correct and no repaint
15. at least (15) 71-76 Eldo converts, most very nice and all the colors of the rainbow :-)
16. 1984 Coupe deville, last of the rear drives, 15,900 miles, highly optioned car, only fault was slightly yellowing fillers

I didn't note pricing on any of these, most were already sold. Our impression was they had a good sale rate based on the number of cars with sold stickers. The car corral was nearly empty, and part vendors were about 20% of past norms. Weather probably had a bearing, I just hope this was an anomaly.

Happy Labor day, all!
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Craig:

I was at the auction all day Friday and a good part of Saturday.  Thank God for the breeze.  The heat and humidity would have been overwhelming otherwise!

My impressions were somewhat similar to yours.  I thought that the food vendors were back to the numbers of several years ago (if not higher) when a good number did not show up over what several told me was a protest to increased rental prices.

Friday's attendance appeared to be good - maybe down a little over several years ago.  Saturday's attendance appeared to be good- maybe up a little over the prior years.  The parking lots were almost full when I arrived at around 9:30.  Traffic was not backed up on to the interstate, but that seems to be more the result of the new interchange changes made a few years ago.

The swap meet vendor numbers appeared to be a little down over last year, but down about 10 to 20% over the numbers of three to five years ago. 

What I found to be surprising, if not shocking, was the number of car corral cars.  Your estimate of 20 to 30 per cent of the number of cars as in prior years was probably right on the mark.  There were huge spaces of open areas where there were no cars.  For some reason there seemed to be a few more cars Saturday as opposed to Friday.  I know two people who usually sell cars in the car corral.  One person was not there, and the other person only brought one car instead of two or three.  I asked him why there was such a drastic reduction in the number of cars in the car corral, and he not did seem to know why either.  He did not think that the rent for a car corral space was a factor.

My wife took a break from the car corral and swap meet and watched the auction for about an hour and a half Friday and did not see a single Cadillac cross the block.   I volunteered for the National Automotive and Truck Museum (NATMUS - next to the Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg Museum in Auburn) on Saturday.  Every year NATMUS provides volunteers to push and drive the cars at the auction and in return receives a donation from the auction company.  While I was volunteering for NATMUS I saw the sale of a black 1964 Cadillac Biarritz.  The car was estimated to be worth $45,000 to $55,000.00.  See:(http://auctionsamerica.com/events/all-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AF12&search=&category=Cars&year=&make=Cadillac&model=&collection=&day=&order=runorder&noreserve=&feature=&stillforsale=&grouping=&page=2)   The reserve was lifted at about $34,000.00 and it sold for about $36,000.00.

In addition to the auction there is the downtown car show on Friday night and a parade of classics on Saturday which should not be missed.  In addition to a 1956 Eldorado Biarittz, a 1953 Cadillac flower car and 1947 hearse, there was the unique 1949 Cadillac "penny car" which always seemed to have crowd around it. See attached.

PS  Are you attending the CLC meet at the Gilmore Museum on September 22-23?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Sounds like a great time and some great cars.

-And a Happy belated birthday Craig. A perfect way to mark the occasion.

Eric
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

936CD69

Bill, thanks for your observations, we are lucky to live so close to the venue. I'm glad to hear that Friday/ Saturday was better. Every year we swear that "next year" we are going on Saturday, but my friend is sales manager at a GM dealership and is afraid he might miss a sale!!!!

I have sent my registration for Sunday only at Gilmore, should be a great time. I don't remember the year but I have only been there once before, I think the show was Cadillacs at Gilmore or something like that. Awesome cars, beautiful venue. The CLCMRC couldn't have chosen more wisely.

Eric, thanks for you kind wishes. Are you coming to Gilmore by chance?

Craig
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Craig:

Look me up at Gilmore.  Depending upon my mood, the weather, and operational status of the car, I will be driving either a black 59 Sedan De Ville, a white 74 Eldo convertible, or a white 1975 Cadillac Mirage pickup.

Bill Hedge

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I'd love to one day- but not this time, unfortunately.  I will be at Fall Hershey though.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute