News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible back interior light question

Started by VincentLuong24, September 04, 2012, 11:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VincentLuong24

Hey there,
I have a 1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible with an interior back light that doesnt seem to turn off. I've tried to look for the switch or mechanism that would turn off the light but I couldn't find anything. Would anyone like to share your knowledge on how to turn off a light bulb?  :P Thanks!

P.S. The only way I have figure to turn it off so far is by removing it.

Terry Wenger

Vincent:

If its wired correctly the .47 convertible rear bow light should only go on when the parking or headlights are on.  Then there is a slide switch on the left rear on the upholstered piece that hides the top mechanism, that turns the rear bow light off and on when the headlights or park lights are on. If I remember correctly, there is also a switch that prevents the rear top bow light from coming on when the top is down, so the light doesn't burn the top material.

Terry
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Bill Ingler #7799

Terry: I always thought the convert bow light took it`s power from the body light wire which also powered the trunk light. That circut according to my 47 wiring diagram is connect to the # 7 position on the headlight switch which is one of two (always hot connections) and has nothing to do with the headlight or parking lights. I thought the only function of the slide switch on the left rear 1/4 panel was to turn off or on the bow light when the doors are closed. Open any door night or day and the bow light comes on, at least that is the way my convert is wired. I am not aware of another switch that keeps the bow light off if the top is down. Only the slide switch, positioned to the off position, would keep the bow light off if the top is down. I know a lot of information came out in the monthly Cadillac Serviceman so is there a bulletin covering the use of the slide switch in the convert? I like a dummy sold all my bulletins at Hershey some years back  Thanks    Bill

Terry Wenger

Bill:

I built the wiring harnesses for my car using the old harness and connections. My rear dome light comes on only when the headlights or parking lights are on and either door is opened or if the doors are closed, the slide switch is turned on.

That harness goes to both tail lights, both license lights and the top bow light and I made it from the original. It connects at the headlight switch through the body plug to terminal#4 on which I have a note that says it is terminal #3 on the Cadillac wiring diagram. I seem to remember that the terminal numbers on the switch didn't agree with the Cadillac diagram, but it is the middle terminal on the switch.

Since I made the harness from the original I pulled out of the car, and the dome light is on that circuit with the tail and license lights, the the only time the bow light has power is when the park or headlights are on. The trunk light is a different circuit, connected through the plug to #2 terminal on the headlight switch.

I was mistaken about the bow light being shut off when the top is down. My '56 convertible did that.

Terry
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Terry: Thanks for the response. Nothing like an original wiring harness to be accurate. I can see some logic in the bow light being tied into the tail light circut. If the bow light was not in the tail light circut, then if the top was in the down position for several days and if the slide switch was in the ON position, then that could possibly run down the battery.

Now here is were I am having trouble understanding why I have a Cadillac 46-48 wiring diagram(PDF attachment below) shows the following. Six circuts going through the plug joining the front harness to the rear taillight harness as follows. 1-interior light feed wire, 2- fuel tank feed wire,3- right rear turn signal,4-left rear turn signal,5- tail lights, 6 -the stop lights.

If I read the circut diagram correctly, the wire going in the male part of the plug for #1 interior light feed is a 14 gage red cross and then changes to a black wire for the female part #1 of the plug. The wire then goes to the trunk light as a black wire with a split and a black wire going to the body lights. I am assuming the body lights in the case of the convert means the bow light. If you trace back to find the power for the trunk light and the bow light you find it is attached to the #7 position of the light switch which is hot all the time, as long as the battery is connected. Also getting power from the always hot #7 position of the headlight switch is the clock, lighter and stop lights. I guess I don`t follow the Cadillac logic, if I need to open the trunk at night, I first need to turn on the park lights to get a trunk light or to open the door at night and not get a bow light until I first turned on the parking lights. This is not the first time I have found the written or printed word from Cadillac did not follow what was actually in the car.    Bill

Terry Wenger

Bill:

Since this is going into material deeper than the original question about the bow light, I'll continue in a direct email to you.

Terry Wenger.
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

VincentLuong24

Thank you Gentlemen! I have found the switch! For those having trouble finding it, here is what it looks like:

Just to add my experience, it seems as if my light has a constant power source. Most likely it was a wiring job poorly done by the previous owner. None the less, I have figured it out thanks to your help!

Terry Wenger

Vincent:

What you show is not a '47 convertible light switch nor is it a '47 rear power window switch. The correct switch is mounted on the same surface positioned vertically by itself.. The '47 convertible does not have power windows in the rear nor is that a '47 rear ashtray. Are you sure you don't have a '48 ?

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

VincentLuong24

Whoops. You are correct Terry. I have a '48 hahaha so terribly sorry. :(