News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1946 Cadillac charging rate

Started by Dave T, September 04, 2012, 10:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T

I would like to know where the amp gauge needle should be on my amp gauge when the headlights are turned on. My amp gauge seems to register fine when my headlights are off. The needle on my amp gauge will move to the right side of the amp gauge according to the motor rpms. and my batts. seem to stay charged ok ( I am using two Optima batts wired in parallel) My concern is that when the headlights are turned on the amp gauge needle stays over on the left of center, The lights will get a little brighter when the motor is accelerated. The needle does move towards center but does not go past the center. I would think that the car would be discharging if the amp needle does not go past center any input on this situation would be very helpfull.
                                thanks Dave T 22554
Dave Treuhaft
CLC # 22554

Doug Houston

First, your "amp gage" is correctly called an "ammeter".

This gauge is by no means, an measuring instrument. It's an indicator, and the best you'll ever get from it is what you are observing now. The generator on your car is developing around 35 amperes in a full charge situation. Check me on that, in either the owner's manual, or the shop manual. The highest current output of 6 volt generators prior to 12 volt systems was about 45 amperes.

So, the only thing that you can get from the ammeter is whether the battery is charging or not charging. That's not very encouraging, I know, but if you keep an eye on it, at least, you'll know whether or not the generator is working.

Kinda disappointing, but  it's not a matter of "how much", but: "Is you is, or is you ain't".
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Glen

Are you using Halogen lights?  If so your lights maybe drawing too much current. 

The ammeter is telling you the battery is discharging.  You may want to check the generator output to see if it is up to specs.  See if your regulator is working OK. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104