News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Protecting Grill after Polishing?

Started by Jeff Wilk, September 10, 2012, 09:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

After spending a few hours dismantling and cleaning, and polishing, and polishing, and polishing, and polishing, all of the grill bullets and sections from just the corner units on our '59 Fleetwood we absolutely need to know what to coat them with to help protect the finish going forward?  They cleaned up so fantastically that we will be doing the 100 or so other bullets on the main section in the coming weeks (or months  :( ) so really hope there is something to put on them to retain the shine.

Jeff & Noah
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

62droptop

i have used POR 15 product called Glisten PC

it is a clear coat made for polished and chromed items,prteey tought stuff

i have had good luck with it and no really reduction in shine noticed

after doing your entire grill, you definitely do not waqnt to be doing that ever again

Quentin Hall

G'day Jeff, You really need to get the grill re anodised. I presume you had to strip the existing anodising off to polish it in the first place. Otherwise the aluminum will once again go dull. I got my 59 grill re anodised. Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

52Cadillac

62 that product sounds great. Another site recs using AP120 metal prep prior to use. but this must be for chrome, etc. How do you apply? It says it can be sprayed on.
Protect da shiny stuff.
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quentin Hall is giving you correct advice.

Once you polish aluminum to a brilliant shine, you've effectively removed
all of the anodizing.  No matter what type of wax or polish you put on it will
start to tarnish again.  This is especially true if you plan to drive the car.

Anodizing is relatively inexpensive.  Since you have the grille all apart,
now is the time take it to a place that does this work and get it finished.

Note that most normal chrome plating shops do not do anodizing as it is
completely different chemically from chrome plating.  You'll have to seek one
out.  Perhaps somebody in the forum can recommend one in your area.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

62droptop

Quote from: 52Cadillac on September 12, 2012, 10:29:01 AM
62 that product sounds great. Another site recs using AP120 metal prep prior to use. but this must be for chrome, etc. How do you apply? It says it can be sprayed on.
Protect da shiny stuff.

i used the products recommended by POR 15

the marine clean and the metal prep
the prep dulled the finish a bit, but once i brushed on the clear, it looked great

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The aluminum "metal prep" removes the tarnish (aluminum oxide)- it's an acid based compound.  Yes, your grill  will look great after you're finished.

However the protection issue I mentioned is still a problem.  You need to
have it anodized or you will e doing this again a a few years or sooner.

NOW is the time to have that done!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jeff Wilk

I thought that i heard that the anodizing process still required final buffing which ultimately removes all the corners and sharp edges on all the surfaces and that's not desirable. My grill is off my Arizona car and it has no pitting only dirt and dullness. I am only putting each piece on a buffing wheel with gray compound and then a final polish with green. the car is being done to be a highly respectable driver.

Wont a final protective coat keep that shine in place?  I am not stopping these down and then polishing the aluminum to a mirror finish.   Thoughts?   Frankly the cost of sending the 120+ grill Bullets and its other parts to a plater scares me.  Project way over planned budget already. Also mortified by the thought of a piece getting lost

Other thoughts based on this?
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Rob Troxel

Jeff,

At best you are buying some time if you don't re annodize the grill. One is for sure, it won't get cheaper. No one said having a 59 is a cheap proposition but then you aleady know that.  Good luck!

Glen

Are these grilles anodized or alodined?  Googleing both of them I see anodize is a very strong color coating that can be red, blue or green.  Alodine is a process that leaves the aluminum a light translucent gold color.  Many aircraft parts and electronic chassis use the alodine process and when I was in the shipyard we had many waveguide pieces alodined.  From my experience it looks like carburetors are alodined at the factory. 

Both processes can be done at home.  The anodize process requires an electrical current like plating.  Alodine is simple.  You wash the part then use an etcher called Alumiprep 33, wash it again and soak it in the Alodine until it is done.  No buffing required. 

I believe the grill on my 68 ELDO was Alodined not anodized. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

These grilles are just Aluminium coloured, so I don't know what the process was.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quentin Hall

The aluminium is definately anodised. Just like your aluminium framed house window frames.
  In the case of the grill in silver finish it is just called "clear anodised". When I restored my 59 grill I first of all removed the factory anodising with a mild caustic bath. Then I polished the bars and bullets on a buffer. The anodising is a hard coating which prevents the soft alum from the elements but it must be removed prior to buffing otherwise you can't really polish effectively. I made up a lathe spindle and polished the bullets individually.
       Then I went to my local anodiser in my case QLD Nameplates who already had a big rack with pins that was perfect for the bullets. I recall paying $250. Like diecast, alum has a tendency to have corrosion blemishes sometimes come from within during the plating process. Nevertheless I was very happy with the result . The critical surfaces are the leading edges of the flat bars and the concave bits on the bullets as they have usually copped a lot of road chips over the years. Get them right and most imperfections on the rest of the grill tend to get lost in reflections or in the complexity of the grill. I also flipped my horizontal bars upside down which was the better preserved surface.
      Or just contact Grant Owen in NZ who makes the whole grills brand new for a couple of grand or more. . .  but oh they are beautiful.   
       Regards. Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Grant Owen

Anodising is not as simple as some seem to think. Before any polishing can take place the Anodising has to be striped off Hot Costic Soda is the process that is used for this , this doesn't take very long but if the Aluminium is left in the Costic Soda to long it will destroy the surface of the Aluminium . It can only take a few seconds to destroy the surface if it is left to long.

After it is stripped it will need polishing this will round the edges & destroy the original grain in the Aluminium it will also highlight any faults in the Aluminium which will show up allot worse after the Anodising process.

The Anodising process after the Aluminum is polished is not that simple this has to be done with someone with allot of experience I would suggest anyone check with the anosdiser they plan to use before they start the job , as most Anodisers are now only use to Anodising items like Aluminium windows which require more microns in the process.

The more microns the tougher the anodising will be , but the more microns the duller the Anodising will be.
Decorative work such as Car Grills & parts the Anodising process uses less microns.

Re anodising any Grille will make all the parts smaller & will highlight any fault in the Aluminium , you will end up with a Grille that will have Ill fitting parts & will rattle , The rattling will get worse the more the car is driven as the Bullets & Slats will become loser.

The other process that Glen talks about is the process used on parts like Carburetors , good chemical resistance but no good for Grills.

I hope all this makes sense.