News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Accessory Codes for my 66

Started by 66 Eldo, September 17, 2012, 11:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66 Eldo

Could someone here decode the accessory codes for my 66 Eldorado?

They are ESM KI

Thanks.

quadfins

E   soft ray tinted glass
S   remote control trunk lock
M   power door locks
K   air conditioning
I   don't know

J was twilight sentinel, L was automatic level control

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

66 Eldo

Thanks a lot!

The car has twilight sentinel and level control (metal air tank on firewall in front of driver). I assume these items were added by the dealer according to the accessories brochure that was with the owner's manual. Or maybe these items were standard on the Eldorado because it was a "Fleetwood" ? My friend's mother bought the car new and he is looking for the original bill of sale and other items.

Eldo66

The level control was standard on the Eldorado, but twilight sentinel was an option.  The best starting point for researching the car's history is to order a copy of the Cadillac build sheet from the Allied-Vaughn GM Media Archive.  Their website is gmmediaarchive.com and their contact information is:

Allied-Vaughn
Attn:  Cadillac Build Records
11923 Brookfield
Livonia, MI 48150

Vehicleinvoice@gmmediaarchive.com
(734) 462 5543, ext. 163
(734) 261-5216  fax

They have microfiche of Cadillac's build records for 1966.  Allied-Vaughan charges $50 to find and mail you the page that contains a specific VIN that you provide.

Good luck,
Paul
1966 Eldorado - Flamenco Red with bucket seats

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

The “I” you posted may be a “1” which would be AM/FM stereo radio. If your car has two speakers in the dash top it’s a stereo car. When new, dealers did install quite a few accessories if it would close the deal for an existing car. These included “Q” - Tilt & Telescope steering, “J” - Twilight Sentinel, and “C” - Cruise Control.

The two vacuum  storage tanks on the firewall are for the automatic  emergency brake release and other vacuum powered accessories. The ALC pump and tank are directly below the fan mounted just below the radiator.

The other coveted option, based on their appearance,  you’re missing is bucket seats, “B” after the trim code, and “R” headrest/ reclining passenger seat.  Don’t be disappointed about not having them.  I find them very uncomfortable compared to the bench seat.

What color and interior is the car? Please post pics.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

66 Eldo

The color is Cobalt Blue Firemist with white interior. It has tilt and telescope and AM/FM stereo which would explain the I maybe being a 1 on the trim plate. I know the background on the car but no records as yet. I purchased it from my friend and it was his Mother's car. His father gave it to her for Christmas in Dec. '65. Hopefully he will find some in his Mother's files, but I do have the manuals and Protect-O-Plate.  Always a garaged car from Los Angeles with no rust.   It has had a repaint which is not the best but as a "20 footer" it is OK. Here is one pic but will post more when I get it cleaned up. 

quadfins

very nice! That will provid lots of good times.

I agree with Paul about the build sheet. When I ordered mine, I also received a lot of other sales and technical literature. It has been invaluable in helping with my restoration, and was well-worth the money.
You might want to inquire what they include now.
Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

66 Eldo

I ordered the info from Allied-Vaughn, thanks for the tip.

Does anyone know what options were standard on the 66 Eldorado vs the DeVille?

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Nice looking car and color combination. If you’re not already a member, consider joining the club. There’s a wealth of knowledge and help available.

If those headrests are indeed original, they are a rare option. That style was used on bench seats only and seldom ordered because people thought them too big and would obstruct the driver's view. They could have been factory or dealer installed.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

66 Eldo

I am fairly certain the headrests are original as they have a very correct looking chrome surround piece where they attach to the seats.

I will renew my membership to the CLC. I have been away from Cadillacs for almost 15 years. Got involved with other luxury makes but its nice to be back in a Cadillac.

Eldo66

That's a nice looking color combination - look forward to some additional pics.

You mentioned that you have your warranty booklet.  I am trying to identify the original dealer outlet code for my car (811119).  But I don't have the booklet.  From other CLC forum postings, and my own digging, I have put together the following:

811119      Unknown, Southern California
811219      Hillcrest Cadillac, 9230 Wilshire Boulevard, Beverly Hills CA
________   Thomas Cadillac, W. 7th at Bixel, Los Angeles CA
________   Lou Ehlers Cadillac, 5151 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA
812419       Clarence Dixon Cadillac, 1440 North Vine Street, Hollywood, CA
831719       Casa De Cadillac       14401 Ventura Blvd.  Sherman Oaks, CA
870111.     Don Lee Distributor Code

Could you kindly check your warranty booklet and send me the name and code # of the selling dealer?  Maybe it will help me track my car. 

Many thanks, Paul Nesbitt

66 Eldo

Allied-Vaughan does not have my build sheet records. She says mine is the first Cadillac order she cannot fill. Bummer. Does anyone know anyone else that has the build sheet records?

Eldo66

Paul,

That is frustrating news.  I am not aware of any other potential sources.  Wonder why Allied Vaughn is missing the build record sheet that contains your VIN.  I seem to recall that they do not have records for 1968 either.   Will ask around for any other leads.

Eldo66

Quote from: Eldo66 on September 20, 2012, 10:35:22 AM
That's a nice looking color combination - look forward to some additional pics.

You mentioned that you have your warranty booklet.  I am trying to identify the original dealer outlet code for my car (811119).  But I don't have the booklet.  From other CLC forum postings, and my own digging, I have put together the following:

811119      Unknown, Southern California
811219      Hillcrest Cadillac, 9230 Wilshire Boulevard, Beverly Hills CA
________   Thomas Cadillac, W. 7th at Bixel, Los Angeles CA
________   Lou Ehlers Cadillac, 5151 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA
812419       Clarence Dixon Cadillac, 1440 North Vine Street, Hollywood, CA
831719       Casa De Cadillac       14401 Ventura Blvd.  Sherman Oaks, CA
870111.     Don Lee Distributor Code

Could you kindly check your warranty booklet and send me the name and code # of the selling dealer?  Maybe it will help me track my car. 

Many thanks, Paul Nesbitt

An EBay posting shows that the dealer outlet code for Lou Ehlers Cadillac was 812019:

http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/davegee22/media/1968%20Eldorado/Eldorado054_zps39095c51.jpg.html

So, process of elimination suggests that Thomas Cadillac's code was 811119, and that my car was probably ordered and delivered through Thomas. 

Did you have a chance to check the code on your warranty booklet?

Thanks!