News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Value of a 1957 Sixty Special Mountain Laurel project?

Started by Eldorado Tex, September 18, 2012, 03:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldorado Tex

My uncle decided he wants to sell his 1957 Cadillac Sixty Special Mountain Laurel project. It was bought from the family of the original owner. It had been sitting since the 70s here in West Texas. I'll have to double check the exact mileage, but it's the original miles. I will also get more pictures. Seems to be complete including hubcaps. It will definitely need new floors and glass. There's also some rust in the bumpers. It does have the gold trim.

Caddy Wizard

Done right, the car will cost more to restore than it will be worth at re-sale.  Sorry, but I think the car has reached the parts car stage and has only a nominal worth. 

Top value for a restored 57 60S seems to be 25K to 40K.  It usually costs 40k or more to do a full  resto, with the owner supplying much of the labor.  This car is upside-down at this point.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

100% agreed with Art.

For whatever it's worth, OCPG puts the value of a '57 60 Special at $1,040 in condition #6; $3,120 in #5. Car appears to have lots of good parts worth harvesting- perhaps ~$2,000?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Eldorado Tex

I was afraid of that especially with it being a 4 door. Is there much that will transfer over to Series 62s? Such a shame the grandkids knocked out all the windows cause that ultimate led to the interior and the floor going.

What other floors and windshields will work on this?

Caddy Wizard

Lots of mechanical stuff will fit S62s.  Not sure about body and trim (I'm not a 57 expert). 

For a little more on the valuation question, look at this ebay listing for a 57 Fleetwood.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BEAUTIFUL-1957-CADILLAC-FLEETWOOD-SIXTY-SPECIAL-NUMBERS-MATCHING-31-396-MILES-/221127489620?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item337c39b854   Supposedly in top condition, asking $28k.  No way to bring your car up to that level for anywhere near that low of an infusion of cash (not to mention your time).

Sadly, this car's highest purpose now is as an organ donor to help keep some other old Cadillac alive...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

57flw

It is very sad for another Mountain Laurel Cadillac to end up in that condition.
There is quite a lot to spend to make it good.
I know this for a fact and I have found out the hard way.

There is lots of good parts there and I need some of them to finish mine off.

Please keep me in mind if you decide not to go the project way.

Ken
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

C.R. Patton II

Hello J Pel

I concur.with Art and Eric. Sadly this vehicle is only useful as an organ donor.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Eldorado Tex

Well my uncle will probably just want to sell it whole, so parting it out would probably have to be left to someone else.

I really want a pink convertible from this era, but I'd better off finding an actual one and in better shape than this. Plus I'm not a big fan of the '57 fins.

I don't think you'll have any trouble moving the car on eBay. I believe the front clip is interchangeable with most other 1957 Cadillacs, appears to have all solid sheetmetal, mostly complete plus valuable & rare 60 Special trim. Could be just what someone's looking for. 

What happened with the white car on eBay? It is claimed "Sold" in completed listings.

Thor

Eldorado Tex

So my uncle settled on $3000 obo.

Really since it's just a parts car to most, my dad and I've been thinking about just doing a mild custom roadster with it. Obviously 57 60S stuff would be the easiest, but what other floors and windshields would go in best?

cadillackerman

I'm restoring one similar to it.  Mine was in a barn but filled with mice, so almost as bad or worse.   Floors are the same for all 57-58 Cadillacs 2 or 4 door.  And you can get all the glass from any cheap beat up 4 door.

Car is really far gone, is restoreable for the right guy.  But too far gone to ask a lot.  I paid $1500 for mine.  Most people do not restore Fleetwoods, they are mostly parted for the options and front clips.

I'm in Minnesota, too far to look.  A friend of mine has a dark Pink Fleetwood, same as yours but even that will take a lot of prayers to finish.