News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Aftermarket Sunroof Install

Started by gregm, September 19, 2012, 10:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregm

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Doug Houston

Those were the days when Cadillac thought that they could kill convertibles, and when Chrysler had convertible conversions done by American Sunroof Co.

One of the times we were in the Clark Street Cadillac plant, quite a few cars had semi-finished roofs, because they were to be shipped to American Sunroof for the sunroof installation. This car is  probably one of them.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Greg,
Ask him to post a pic of the data plate. That will answer some questions.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Davidinhartford

Cadillac didn't offer a power sunroof until the 1970 Eldorados.    There is at least one documented power sunroof installed in a 67 Eldorado by ASC (American Sunroof) owned by a club member here.   

The one in the 68 shown is glass.   Cadillac didn't offer a power glass "Astroroof" until 1975.    Although it is plausable that ASC may have had glass ones before 75, but I doubt as far back as 68.   So my thought is it was installed by ASC in the early to mid seventies.

gregm

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on September 19, 2012, 06:08:58 PM
Greg,  Ask him to post a pic of the data plate. That will answer some questions.
Bob

I have asked for the data tag info...he is not representing it as an OEM install, nor did I think that it was...just very professionally done...
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just a side note.  When I bought my 72 Eldorado in November of 1971, Lou Ehlers Cadillac in LA was still sending cars to ASR (in LA) for sunroofs on cars.  There were of course (in LA) other companies doing sun roofs, and the quality of the installation varied considerably.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

66 Eldo

Confusing car.  As mentioned, glass panel sunroofs did not come around until the mid-seventies. So one would think think it was installed then per the earlier comment. But, ASC and other sunroofs installed after the vehicle was produced would have a metal or plastic frame outside around the perimeter of the roof opening to finish the edge. From the inside shot, this car has a finished rolled edge painted body color. No frame. This is likely one of the Eldos mentioned seen at the factory that had semi finished roofs. To have a rolled edge, this would be a different roof stamping altogether. This car did not have a hole cut in its roof after it was produced.

But where or when was the glass panel installed? Still confused.