News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Ignition resistor,,do I need this? my car has A/C

Started by 60eldo, September 19, 2012, 12:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Im just getting ready to start my car,,,new rebuilt engine tri-power,,now I hear I need a ignition resistor,,,do I really need this thing bto start and drive my car? Please HELP
Jon. Kluczynski

Doug Houston

Yes, you do. The ignition coil actually runs on about 8 volts. The ballast resistor (that you speak of) drops the voltage from the 14 volts in your system while the engine is running.

If you check the electrical diagram in the shop manual, you wil see that there is a contact  in the starter solenoid, that shorts the ballast resistor during a start. That causes the ignition circuit to have 12 volts for just a moment while the engine is cranking.

Another thing to think about: since the ignition coil is really an 8 volt coil (primary), and the electrical system in a 6 volt car runs at around 7+ volts under way, you can use a regular coil for a 12 volt car, on a 6 volt electrical system. I've done it on one of my Cadillacs, and it works like a champ.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Dave Shepherd

Quote from: Doug Houston on September 19, 2012, 05:57:00 PM
Yes, you do. The ignition coil actually runs on about 8 volts. The ballast resistor (that you speak of) drops the voltage from the 14 volts in your system while the engine is running.

If you check the electrical diagram in the shop manual, you wil see that there is a contact  in the starter solenoid, that shorts the ballast resistor during a start. That causes the ignition circuit to have 12 volts for just a moment while the engine is cranking.

Another thing to think about: since the ignition coil is really an 8 volt coil (primary), and the electrical system in a 6 volt car runs at around 7+ volts under way, you can use a regular coil for a 12 volt car, on a 6 volt electrical system. I've done it on one of my Cadillacs, and it works like a champ.     True, as long as it is not an internally resisted coil as that drops the voltage too low, those coils would say internal resistor on the body of the coil.

60eldo

Thanks guys,,,but where is this thing ,,,,,ignition resistor located and what wires go to it?
Jon. Kluczynski

62droptop

my 1962 is a resistor wire from the key switch to the coil, not sure if the 1960 is the same

hook up the battery and check the voltage at the coil with the engine off

should be a couple volts  less than static battery volts

if you are using electronic ignition, you do not need nor want the resistor,you need 12v to the coil

Grant Owen

1960 has a resistor wire it is the white cloth covered wire that joins the yellow wire to the coil.
it is very important that this wire is not altered cut or joined in any way .
The type of wire it is & the length gives the resistance altering it in any way may cause it to over heat & cause a fire.
I hope this helps.

Dave Shepherd

look on the firewall near the brake unit or near the coil.

Jeff Wilk

Its not a " thing " in that year.....just the wire itself which is the resistance   Same as
'59 i believe.     
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Grant Owen

look for the cloth covered wire on the coil it is attached to the yellow wire with a Flag Spade Terminal.
You are looking for the cloth covered wire that goes from the coil to the ignition.
If your wiring is original it WONT have a Ballast Resistor it has a Resistor Wire.

Dave Shepherd

The 59 Seville in my shop I just did engine work on had a ceramic resistor, looked oe, maybe it was updated or modified at one time.