News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help with a 1968 Coupe DeVille

Started by gregm, September 20, 2012, 09:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregm

I am in the market for a 1968 Coupe DeVille Convertible and an Eldorado. I have learnt quite a but here about the Eldos and could use an education and more expierenced eyes on the Coupe Deville's as well.

This looks like a pretty nice car and I am trying to get some more info on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-/180962319247?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a2231db8f#v4-42

What should I be looking for/at when I look at these cars?

Any problem areas to watch out for?

Anything look amiss on this car?

It is supposed to be a 2 owner largely "unrestored" car and I am attempting to verify its history.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Dave Shepherd

Looks on Ebay and the owners description mean nothing, a pro should look the car over for floor rust, frame rust, bondo repairs, and general mechanical condition. Those were well made cars in every respect, though.  Remember this is a dealer!!

Gene Beaird

It does look like a mostly unrestored car, but as indicated, looks can be deceiving.  The only bits I'd be concerned with are the operation of the top, seat and windows.  The mechanicals are pretty simple, compared to cars these days, and usually just work.  The 472 and TH400 are rock-solid in these cars. 

The only issues we have had with our 68 Calais look to have been addressed in this car.  Our exhaust needs replacing, and it looks like that car has a replacement aluminized exhaust system.  The seals are all leaking on the TH400 on our car, and it looks like the trans on your example may have been replaced (the dented trans oil pan looks painted, to me, usually indicating a replacement trans).  Neither one of these are a big deal, just something I've observed.

The rear quarter panels and front fender behind the wheels were common rust places.  You should have someone look there.  They also tended to rust around the back window, but that's not a problem with a convertible.  Convertibles tend to be stored indoors, so the rust may not be as bad an issue. 

Good luck.  That's a beautiful car!

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Rust is always a possible issue, but 1968 was better this way than a lot of later years.

The climate control systems got troublesome as the cars aged. A properly working system is a huge plus. The a/c can be fixed, but I would check carefully to see if air comes out of the right vents at the right speeds.

The engine and trans were bulletproof, but I would look closely at the suspension for problems. GM cars of this era needed frequent front end work as they aged.

Finally, I would stay away from any car that looked like it had been maintained or repaired in a "mickey mouse" fashion. Putting something right after it has been screwed with can be very frustrating and expensive.

gregm

Here's the ID plate on the white on red car in AL:

Style 60-6337 Body FW 13019
Trim 40 Paint 10
Top ACC.EHY
This car finished with Magic Mirror Acrylic Lacquer
Body by Fisher

Isn't 10 sable black? And shouldn't the trim be 3 digits, 388 being red leather?

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

blue68deville

The eBay car looks like its been repainted (overspray on tire pressure sticker) and maybe the body line at the bottom rear of the r/f fender is off, hard to tell from the pics. It does have twilight sentinel, a nice feature. Also 2 speakers in the dash, which would be the optional stereo in a closed car (not sure about that option in a convertible). Also cruise.
Worth a closer look for sure, I love how my 68 rides and drives.
Clay Tynan
68 Sedan DeVille
Centennial, CO
CLC #27486

66 Eldo

Ditto on having a pro look at it.

White paint (and pictures) hide flaws very well so this car could look pretty bad in person. I spotted a few other things:

1. Looks like the dash is cracked on the passenger side
2. The muffler is all stretched out from the engine backfiring. This is usually the result from a bad diverter valve on the engine air injection system (smog pump).
3. The front seat looks like it has been recovered in vinyl not leather. The grain and surface looks too smooth compared to the back seat.  Also, the back seat and dash are faded compared to the front seat. They have been slicked-up real good with Armor All or equivalent for the pictures.

And last, and we all wrestle with this one before we purchase is the mileage. 80,000? 180,000? 280,000? As mentioned, these drivetrains were bulletproof and I have seen them run well all mileages. Its just hard to tell. Service records are the only way or if you personally know the history of the car.

gregm

Is the consensus that its a color chage from black to white?

Dave Shepherd

Definitely! Also, the trans pan has a deep dent, not good. Rust on the lt door inside seams. The body style on a conv is 67, body tag info seems wrong.

Steve W

Pictures look nice. But then, most cars look good in pictures!

I agree with just about everything previously stated. RE-READ all the posts! HAVE A PRO LOOK AT IT, or fly in and look at it yourself...or better yet, you AND the pro have a look at it!

I would be amazed if its the original paint job. And if it IS original, why did they take off and NOT replace the DEVILLE lettering on the rear quarters?

The engine compartment looks relatively clean, but it was a quickie detail job as indicated by the valve covers and the air cleaner. Not a big deal on a moderately priced car IF its mechanically sound.

The $$ are getting pretty steep for the car, 50 bids and its at 13k and reserve not met?

Ask the guy if it has the front dics brake option. (If you're going to drive it, I think it's a pretty important option. I have it on mine...not that important on a show car though)

Keep in mind that a convertible with the top UP is more difficult to see out back to the right without that passenger door mirror...and those cost a small fortune IF you can find one.

Find out what works and what doesn't. Twilight sentinel, a/c, cruise control etc can be VERY VERY expensive to fix.

Pretty car though! I hope its a keeper!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

gregm

Ever since I asked for a photo of data tag I have not heard back from him.

I love this color combo and have asked several times for data tag info to determine original colors...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-cadillac-convertible-/140831114476?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20ca3044ec

Could that be an original exterior color?

gregm

Quote from: George K Hashem on October 02, 2012, 10:14:06 PMGreg on the blue car Look at the third picture from bottom second row. It looks nasty no way this car has 11000 miles. The metal looks rotted!

Yes, he tld me there was some rot in the trunk drop downs...that photo is the worst of it...he has not responded to several email and calls for tag data...oh, well.

Chris Conklin

Don't know if you got an answer to your cowl tag questions above and/or gave up on that car. But you are correct, 10 would be black and the trim should be three digits. Another issue, the style number of 60-6337 is missing a digit and would be for a 1960 car. A '68 CDV convertible would be tagged as a 68-68367.
Chris Conklin

gregm

Quote from: #25055 on October 04, 2012, 06:23:11 PM
Don't know if you got an answer to your cowl tag questions above and/or gave up on that car.

Yeah, I have given up on that one as I am not interested in color changes. I am so tired of all of these loose claims of "2 owner car" or the like with no proofs.  They just pass along hearsay that they think a previous owner told some one...such bs...

C.R. Patton II

Hello Greg

Glad you are in the market for a Cadillac. I had a 1968 Cadillac Deville Convertible that was from Fresno. It was a nice clean car. Try to acquire an Arizona, California, Florida or Texas vehicle.

You are asking all the right questions. This is October be patient and let the best car come to you.

By the way I sold that Deville to a buddy in Spain so I could buy a C4D.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Chris Conklin

I would also say to be prepared to spend a few dollars on inspections. I paid for four out of state inspections before I purchased my '66 Eldorado. It was an expense of about $1200. Well worth it, I did not buy any of the cars that were out of state thanks to those inspections. The Eldorado I did buy was here in CA.
Chris Conklin

Dave Shepherd

Greg, there are are a couple of 68 convertibles at carsonline.com

gregm

Quote from: Dave Shepherd on October 05, 2012, 07:46:49 PM
Greg, there are are a couple of 68 convertibles at carsonline.com

I had checked them before; nothing stood out to me. There is a decent car in CA (of course) that I am thinking about having inspected.

Also chasing another 68 Eldo in Cleveland OH and trying to find someone to look at it foe me.

Bentley

The biggest challenge I have had with my 68 DeVille has been the turn signal switch. Check to see that the cancellation cam is working in both directions. You can rebuild the switch, but it can be very difficult. You can buy a rebuilt switch, but they tend to problem-prone.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183