News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Two Pretty Lame Questions Regarding '76 Eldorado

Started by Caddyjack, September 22, 2012, 03:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyjack

Hi friends! I feel like an idiot asking these two, what should be, very basic questions regarding my 1976 Eldorado convertible. When I got mine in December, it had no trunk light. The entire assembly was missing. I found one on ebay that is pretty much just the wire with the bulb socket which appears to screw onto the deck lid near the lock assembly. The electrical plug fit right in, and the bulb lights when grounded. YAY. But...I can't find the jamb switch anywhere. The damn thing stays lit when the trunk is closed. (when I tested it prior to bolting on by running it out the trunk and seeing if it shuts off when the deck lid closes) The body manual shows no location of the jamb switch. Anyone know?

Also....on the air cleaner: There are three vacuum hose nipples near each other behind the carb. The two I have hooked up are the temperature sensor, linked properly to manifiold vacuum and the ThermAC door. But back there, right above the EGR valve....there's a random hose connection (basically a passageway from the engine bay into the air cleaner...unfiltered. What is this? Where does it connect? There is NO mention of it in the shop manual.

Thanks!

Jack
Devon, PA
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Caddyjack

PS...here's a photo of the underside of the air cleaner....

Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

62droptop

the trunk light probably has a mercury switch in it so it only comes on when the lid is open
it it is a mercury type switch,it  has a drop of mecury that  rolls around and makes a contact when the assembly is tilted a certain way

cadillactim

Jack

The nipple on the bottom of the air cleaner is the air inlet for the level ride compressor. A hose connects to that nipple and goes to the level ride compressor.

Tim

Tim Groves

LeRoy DeVol

The light for your trunk has a mercury switch and to test it, remove it with the wire still attached, turn the light up & down and see if the light goes out. Ounce you determine that the mercury switch is working you should be able to determine how to install it so it works properly. By the way you will need to install a ground wire to make this test.

Lee DeVol

Caddyjack

Thanks Tim, Lee, and 62DropTop! I knew I could count on you guys.  ;D
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

cadillacmike68

If you don't have level control or if yours is not connected, you should cap off that nipple on the air cleaner to prevent a vacuum leak. 
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike