News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac Dealership Monopolies

Started by Paul Tesone, September 26, 2012, 09:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

A recent post in this section showed a photo of a 1960 Eldo in a dealership identified as possibly being the Peter Fuller dealership in Boston . Having grown up in the Boston area, I remember that dealership well and I agree with that observation . The post said it was one of the biggest dealerships in Boston at the time . I remember people telling me it used to be THE dealership in Boston . In fact , I remember being told that ALL cadilacs delivered to the Boston area had to go thru Peter Fuller before being distributed to other suburban dealerships . I was also told of a family friend who bought a 48 Caddy from Peter Fuller and was not allowed to buy another Caddy in 1952 because he sold his 48 privately instead of trading it back in to Peter Fuller or some other cadillac dealership . Are these just "urban legends " or did dealerships like Peter Fuller really have that kind of  control over sales and distribution during the 40's and early 50's ?  Not a bad deal for Mr Fuller if true . ..Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Guidematic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cadillac set up zone officies and all sales had to go through that office for any other dealer in that particular zone. I'm sure someone here can elaborate more on this.

In the 40's and 50's Cadillacs were in great demand. Resale values were very high. So much so that once you bought a new Cadillac, cost of ownership was on par, or even less than lesser makes. I can see that a dealer might try to monopolise the used market in some way in order to keep that cash rolling in. But that they actually did do what you heard is a matter of conjecture.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

76eldo

In different parts of the country there were distributors that were also dealers. I'm not an authority on this but I know that Packard had a deal like this too.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Paul Tesone

Mike - thanks for your input . Your description of a zone distribution thru a main dealership is essentially what I was told . By the way , that family friend did eventually get his 52 Caddy . Not at first , and apparently only after much complaining . Not certain he got it from Peter Fuller's dealership - maybe another one outside of Boston . Whatever difficulties he had , those things would never happen today .  Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I believe somewhere around 1960, Cadillac discontinued the distributor program. As I understand it, big distributers would receive x days supply of inventory for their territory and out of that, they would wholesale to the smaller dealerships. This put the big dealer-distributors in an advantageous position relative to the smaller dealerships. They could keep as much as they wanted for themselves for retail as well as having the first pick of the more choice units- spinning off the "duds" to the dealers- ie: less desireable colors, models etc. Smaller dealers would even have to "grease" the distributor above and beyond the set wholesale price in order to obtain a unit they particularly needed. All new car orders would have to go through the distributor as well and the distributor made money on every unit channelled through it. Even parts supply was funnelled through the distributor. The smaller dealers grew increasingly dismayed with the practice (and corruption), finally culminating with GM dismantling the distributor program with every dealer having equal access to factory supply and at uniform cost. It eliminated the unfair price advantage previously enjoyed by the distributorships.

This had been covered in an issue of the Self Starter a while back and this is the gist of what I had gotten from it.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute