News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle Transmission Pan Bolts and oil?

Started by Andrew Zizolfo, October 01, 2012, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Zizolfo

Can someone tell me the specifications of the transmission pan bolts on a '40 LaSalle? I changed the transmission gasket and found various size bolts.
Also - GL-4 or GL-5 transmission oil? I used GL-5 but I've been hearing pros and cons of each.
Thanks in advance,
Andy Zizolfo - CLC #5011

Jay Friedman

Andy,

Do you mean the bottom cover on a '40 Lasalle manual transmission?  If so, there are 9 bolts altogether.  7 of them are ordinary bolts, 1¼ inch long with a 5/16 x 18 thread.  2 of the bolts are special, with a special shank at the end, which fit into an internal shaft to keep it in place.  (The countershaft and the reverse idler shaft.)  One of these bolts goes into the hole which stands alone at the rear of the bottom cover of the transmission, the other goes into the middle hole on the right side of the transmission.  (By right side I mean the opposite side from the side with the shifter shafts.) 

In my '49 Cadillac's manual transmission, which is almost identical with a '40 LaSalle's, I use 80/90 weight gear oil. 

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Andrew Zizolfo

Jay,
Thanks for the reply. I did find those 2 special bolts with the shank on the ends. I put them back exactly where I took them out. I wanted to make sure that this was the right situation. You cleard me up. Thanks again - Andy

Fred Pennington 25635

For the question on oil. A friend of mine has a Transmission shop, He tells me do not us oils marked EP or extreme pressure. These oils are corrosive to yellow metals ( Brass syncronizers )
Other than that it really doesn't matter which oil you use as long as it is 80 plus weight , He recommends 75w 140 synthetic

Fred P.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Andrew Zizolfo