News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1966 DeVille convertible-roof will not raise-Advice please

Started by 48-62, October 01, 2012, 02:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48-62

My roof worked well, then at weekend I lowered it, and cannot raise it. :(  The fuse seems to be OK, and power gets to the motors, but nothing is happening.

Where should I start looking ?

Will I damage anything if I raise it manually until I can  look at the problem ?

Thanks

Steve

Bill Balkie 24172

Steve ,
  Have you checked the Fluid in the pump ? It might be low . And if it's low ,you might have a leak .
  good luck .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

66 Eldo

Can you hear the top motor running? If yes, then get someone to hold the top switch in the up position while you gently help the top up. If it "catches" and closes you are low on fluid. Needs whatever leak to be fixed and topped off with fluid.

Power to the motor with no action probably is usually a bad motor so try this:

If the motor does not run, then while your helper holds the switch, gently TAP on the top motor with a wrench or small hammer. If the motor begins to work, the motor is bad.

Also check the wiring and the ground for the top motor.

cadillactim

If you hear the motor runs with the switch in the "down" position, but the motor does not run with the switch in the "up" position, check the switch. You can unplug the switch and "jump" the center wire to either of the other two wires. One wire makes the top go up, the other wire makes the top go down. If the top works this way, switch is the problem.  Tim
Tim Groves

Chris Conklin

Worst case; unbolt the rams from the top frame and get some help to lift it.
Chris Conklin

48-62

Thanks for the advice, have a pump that doesn't, so have ordered a new one and  am unbolting the rams to raise the roof for the moment.

Any tips on installing the pump ?

Again thanks, good to know there is so much help at the end of a keyboard.

Steve

Chris Conklin

If the supplier of the new pump has a purge tool, buy it. It's basically a gallon bottle with a pump handle to force the ATF through the system. Bleeding and purging can be difficult without this item. Be sure your battery is good, you'll be operating the top a lot also.
Chris Conklin