News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

To Administrator................

Started by Richardonly, October 03, 2012, 11:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardonly

Who is this "David who wants to know which cars we own and most replies , as well as the initial writer, are guests???

I believe it is titled "I own 5, what do you own?"

Many of our members own valuable cars and I would hate to see them stolen and overseas.

What say you?
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Guidematic

I thought it odd that this thread was revived afer being dormant for so long. It was started in 2005 and continues.

David was a member here, but so far as I know he is not anymore, thus his status has been changed to guest. Also, if you look at my reply early on in the first page, it has been changed to guest. I left this board for some time after that, so my status was changed.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

robpp

if you really want some attention use the contact moderator button

it sends an email to the moderator.
Rob Powe
CLC 27372
1976 6EL67 Chesterfield Brown/Buckskin

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: richardonly on October 03, 2012, 11:08:52 AM
Who is this "David who wants to know which cars we own and most replies , as well as the initial writer, are guests???

I believe it is titled "I own 5, what do you own?"

Many of our members own valuable cars and I would hate to see them stolen and overseas.

What say you?

Most members list owned vehicles in their signatures as well as the CLC directory anyway so it's kind of a moot point. The option of so doing is entirely at the member's discretion. I can't see how a thread on the subject could make much difference, one way or the other. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Quentin Hall

My feeble mind hasn't  embraced  the "siege mentality" that is pervading our society re computer/ virtual / privacy/cyber/ theft/ crime , just yet. Sure it goes on. Credit cards are just a joke. I'm sure I pay the banks a hefty premium in interest for the right of cyber criminals to feed from the money trough. 
        However this whole "privacy" issue stuff pertaining to the forum etc raises the next question of why do we even have a message  forum and share any personal information about anything at all? Probably cos we humans are social animals and it is nice to belong to a group who share a common interest. Sure there are lots of things in this world to be scared of but I just hope we don't go so far as to fear taking these cars out of the alarmed bunkers we hide them in for fear that we will be robbed. . . or virtually robbed, let alone even talking about them. Driving your cherished car to the shopping mall or local restaurant is more of a "calculated" risk.
        Personally I think most petty criminals would rather target a Subaru , Porsche or Maserati or a BMW with big wheels anyhow. Cyber criminals will just take your bank account. Who would want to lug a two ton Cadillac that leaks oil and uses too much gas and needs another min$10 000 to get roadworthy to a Bermuda safe haven? (that's a joke!)   
        I'd like to think the best  protection is the solidarity of a group with a common interest. Hope I am not too naive.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

N Kahn

C.R. Patton II

Cadillac heritage + Integrity = Trust
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Agreed with Quentin- there's a lot more valuable property that's far more easily pilfered, transported and concealed that a 2-ton attention-grabbing, [fairly] trackable vintage car. Relative to the potential reward, the risks are simply too high.

Gene Beaird

A little dose of paranoia (I prefer to call it a heightened sense of awareness) is not necessarily a bad thing, but as the others have said, there's other things that are far easier to get than almost any of our cars.  They'll have to get past me working in my office that overlooks my driveway, past my neighbor's occasional gaze, and their security cameras that encircle their property, and no doubt capture portions of our property in their view, past the deadlocks on our shop, then move a diesel truck, hitch and move a car trailer that's already loaded with our race car, just to get the chance to find something that'll start quickly enough to get it out of the shop before the dogs and birds (never underestimate the 'guard bird' qualities of a parrot or conure) have alerted me that something is amiss and allowed me time to center the crosshairs of my rifle between their beady eyes and pull off a couple of rounds. 

But yeah, if they think all that's worth stealing an unrestored 68 Cadillac Calais, then have at it.   ;D
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Chris Conklin

I've discovered the most risky financial thing you can do in the Los Angeles area is go buy gas and pay at the pump. Well... that... and crossing the street...  8)
Chris Conklin

Paying at the pump with a credit card you mean? Never worry about that. The maximum liability to the credit card holder is limited to $50.00 by law. Once had a friend whose card was stolen and racked up ~ $8K in charges before the company suspended the card. They never even bothered to collect the $50.00 from him.

Chris Conklin

Had my debit card hacked into twice and my credit card once. All charges were reimbursed.
Chris Conklin

Chris Conklin

I have to get used to the new "keyless" technology on my STS. Here's another avenue that will probably lead to somebody stealing something; I moved the car down the driveway to the street in front of my home the other day. While parking it at the curb the phone starts ringing in the car. It's the bluetooth connection between my cell phone and the car. My phone is in the house, yet it was still close enough to link to the car all the way down to the street.
Chris Conklin

Glen

Quote from: StevenTuck on October 05, 2012, 07:02:33 AM
Another warning...do not lock your car using your key fob, use the button on the door. Hackers can access the signal and get in your car. You can use the fob to unlock the car since you will be getting in the car and not leaving the car.

I think that is no longer valid unless you are using an old system.  This was also a concern with garage door openers. 

New technology uses “rolling codes”.  Transmitter and receiver share a list of random codes.  Each time the transmitter button is pressed the code is changed.  Since the code is very long, in no sequence and the list is very long it is very difficult to figure out what the next code will be. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Quentin Hall

I'll always know if someone tries to steal one of my Cadillacs as they will have to bring a jerry can of clean gas, several fresh batteries and some mates to clear a path; mind you my wife will probably be keen to assist taking awkward bits out and off the property. She'll probably even make lunch and provide cold drinks for the thieves.
        I thought keyless technology meant you could start it with a screwdriver or a  12inch piece of wire.  :o

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Richardonly

Just for fun, look at the plates on the vehicles this popular DJ took photos of.   (He missed a few.)

They were always shown until about two weeks ago.

http://www.cruisinbruce.com/EventPhotoAlbum.html
1995 Jaguar XJ6

52Cadillac

I don't list all my toys, as my gal Might notice how much I have and how much Ive spent.
I'm not aware of what low life's can do with your license plate number, if anything? Yet I notice that a good many cars for sale have them covered up, etc.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Richardonly

I may have watched "Gone in 60 seconds," one too many times, LOL.

Growing up in R.I.  "Little Italy" I may take caution to an extreme at times!  Saw too much and always on guard.

In any case, there may have been some sort of problem for this local popular DJ to take the time to blank out the plates.  Here, for a few dollars, with the plate number, you can get the owner's name and address.   Just my hubcaps would cost over $1000.00 I believe.
1995 Jaguar XJ6

52Cadillac

I believe our parts are more easily accessible then the whole car.
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)