News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Comments on the 2013 Cadillac Cue System

Started by Bill Ingler #7799, October 06, 2012, 02:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ingler #7799

The 2013 Cadillac XTS CUE Infotainment system incorporates the heater/air, navigation, telephone, audio, and several other areas I still have not figured out yet. All the above controlled by a big digital touch screen in the dash which has required Cadillac to give a new Apple IPAD to each new Cadillac owner. The IPAD is preloaded with tutorials on how to use the CUE system. The more I get into the system the more I like it and the more I become a little more comfortable with the CUE.  I am no novice to the computer or the Apple IPhone but even so I still have sent hours finding out how to program each system. My 2013 XTS is a great car and the CUE system is state of the art but is the CUE system going to be accepted by all? As understand, the CUE system will be standard on all new models of future Cadillacs. I know plenty of friends who spend minimal time with a computer, maybe to just get emails. Yes the younger generation is more computer oriented than us older folks but has Cadillac moved to fast with the CUE system and forgot there are still plenty of Cadillac buyers out there that might be scared off by the new CUE system.     Bill

R Schroeder

Call me old fashion.
I like to get into my 78 and turn the key, then turn on the radio. That's about it for me.
I have not even learned all the junk on my 2012, and probably wont. I pretty much use it like my Caddy. I just drive it.....................ha
To me a car is suppose to be a driving experience, not a headache.
Roy

Doug Houston

The character of an automobile has taken on a seemingless quagmire of expensive, (and not always very reliable) gadgetry. As already stated above, if I ever have one of these cars in the future, I'm going to want all of the video paraphernalia deleted from the car.

When I climb into my daily transportation car, I don't board it to watch a movie, or diddle with my i-Phone (I haven't one, anyway).

Cadillac has gone so far with accessory gadgets, that don't contribute to driving the car, that they've forgotten  just what they're doing all of that for.

There was a time when some, but not all cars of all makers, had optional radios, heaters, lighting options, and so on. Today, for those who don't want such things as a radio, it's actually a COST DELETE!!  That's why the police cars all have AM-FM-Stereo radios in them.

I wish that the Cadillac gang would come out of their  cocoon, and get a look at the real world. They need it, and so do the customers.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

jock82

I am happy that you like your new XTS.  I looked at one at the dealer recently when I had my 2009 DTS in for an oil change and check up before my Route 66 trip to California.  I personally do not care for the car and I certainly do not want that CUE system on my car. My DTS has gadgetry on it that I have never used.  Call me old fashioned, too. but I am happy if it has an air conditioner that works, rides comfortably and is quiet (which describes my DTS), oh, I do like XM radio (60's on 6, and did use On Star when I got lost),  but that is about as far as I want to go. I understand that Cadillac has to keep up with the times but presently they do not build a car that I would buy and I have been buying Cadillacs since 1970 (how I wish I still had my 70 Coupe de Ville)

Guy Moore
CLC member #12650
1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 de Ville Concours
2009 DTS
1976 Olds 98 Regency
1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS'
1976 Olds 98 Regency

Guy Moore CLC# 12650

Don Boshara #594

As my newest car is 12 years old and I'm starting to think of something newer, do these touchscreen gizmos give you any time to pay attention to the road?
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Don: Yes you can be distracked by the info screen. I take one system at a time to learn to set up that system so I can operate that system and keep my eyes on the road. I started with what they call the climate control system. Set the temp you want in the car, be it summer or winter, set automatic and your done with that system. The audio system has more to offer which could be a distraction. You have am/fm, XM/CIRUS, CD disk or you can slip in a scan disk from your computer music. Your telephone connection system from the car is by far my favorite. If you carry any type of smart phone with names, phone numbers with addresses, then as soon as you get in the car, your phone is now connected to the CUE system and any incoming calls will ring through your smart phone and you answer by pushing a button on the steering wheel. To place a call while driving, push another button on the wheel and a very soft femail voice will answer. You say call and she says what number. You say the number or just give her a name from you smart phone contacts and she will dial. Voice recognition as come along way but she still says she does not understand when I say I want a beer.

Learning and using the navigation system plus trying to put in destinations while driving could give you some problems with to much time looking and in putting numbers and names on the touch screen. Here again you can push a button on your wheel and ask for verbal directions or verbally tell the CUE to program verbal directions to your destination

One of the best features of the CUE system is the heads up display which is a system that projects information on the inside of the windshield ,just below your line of sight like your speed, the speed limit in that area, any turns coming up for navigation and several other features.  I enjoy the system and also respect the warning that unless I keep my eyes on the road you could be in the same category as people who text and drive.     Bill

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Whether we old dinosaurs like it or not, this is the kind of stuff that sells today.

The car itself is secondary to the electronics to be attached to it.

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Doug Houston on October 06, 2012, 09:41:08 PM
I wish that the Cadillac gang would come out of their  cocoon, and get a look at the real world. They need it, and so do the customers.
They do... that's how the CUE system and all the other electronics got on there.  ;D Let's face it, a lot of the folks on this forum are not their target market.

I do like the new Cadillacs and having some new tech in there is fine with me. Surprisingly, I've only seen two of the XTS' on the road and one being prepped for delivery at Casa de Cadillac. Pretty nice cars. I am extremely happy with my '08 STS, though I can see some tickets in my future if I'm not careful!  ;) Very fun car to put through paces, one of the last front engine V8s with RWD.
Chris Conklin

CEC #20099

Do you have to take the car to the Apple `Genius Bar` for service?? Doug hit the nail on the head. The next time you get rear - ended, it may be someone in his new Cad fiddling with the temp, or something.
c chleboun  #20099

Chris Conklin

I think Bill hit the nail on the head - take the time to learn, program, and know the systems in your car while off the road (no matter what year it was built). And you don't have to take a new Cadillac anywhere to be diagnosed for service, it will talk to you and the dealer via OnStar.

The idea behind these automated features are just that... to be automated. Once set, you only need to get in and start the car and drive and it will set itself to your preferences. I think that is a pretty nice idea and one that is very much in the vein of a Cadillac. Look at all the creature comforts incorporated into all of our "old" Cadillacs. I'm sure many people were concerned about a driver fiddling with the radio or climate control while driving and being distracted. (Climate control! Good heavens man, it's a car, not a house!! Don't even get me started about the evils of an eight track player or a CB radio mounted in a car!)  ;D

Obviously, I'm being facetious and poking some folks in the ribs. Simply put, the CUE system has replaced all the switches and levers on the dash with a touch screen. But then again, I'm still wondering where that jet-pack is I was promised years ago!!
Chris Conklin

Andrew Armitage

I'm sure there were people in the 1930's complaining the same way about in-dash AM radios in new Cadillacs.
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
1941 67 Series
1966 Fleetwood 75 Series
1985 Seville
1991 Eldorado

Terry Wenger

This past Sunday we had our 40th Annual CLC show and our sponsoring dealer (Elco Cadillac) had an XTS and an ATS on display. One of our members remarked about needing an I-Phone to learn about the CUE system in the XTS.

It seems Cadillac in keeping up or trying to stay ahead of the competition has incorporated the latest of electronic gadgets.  They look to be forgetting the older folks who have been a large portion of their customers.These people, (with some exceptions like Bill),  want a luxury car that has knobs and real push buttons that are simple to use.

Instead of making cars with simple controls, the auto makers in general have to have all the latest technological stuff. Much of this stuff is used and set once and is never used again while the car has the same owner. Mechanical and styling advancements seem to mean little to buyers, who look for the tech. items. The game is to be sure the car is under warranty as when the Cue system or any other computer system breaks, it will be very costly.

I guess I have been restoring old Cadillacs for too long! I consider them all relatively simple even with such advancements as Controlled Free Wheeling. Sixteen cylinder engine, Power seats , windows, Hydramatic transmission, power steering, brakes, or Climate Control. None of these items required more than a quick reading of the owner's manual or an explanation from the sales person, to put them to use.

As a design engineer ( retired) I always kept the KISS principle in mind, "Keep It Simple Stupid." This doesn't seem to apply with these new Cadillacs or other cars.

Do I drive an old car for everyday transportation.  No, I just bought a low mileage '08 CTS with somewhat simple equipment. It has no Navigation system,  rainsense wipers, rear parking assist, four wheel drive , keyless access or remote start. What it does have is the 3.6 D.I engine, sport suspension, leather seating, good sound system, 18 inch wheels, all push buttons and knobs and a real old fashioned clock! It is plenty fast, quite economical and after a brief look at the owner's manual, it was easy to operate and fun to drive.

Terry Wenger

Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Gene Beaird

Quote from: Andrew Armitage on October 09, 2012, 09:27:59 PM
I'm sure there were people in the 1930's complaining the same way about in-dash AM radios in new Cadillacs.

Yeah, but the difference here is the car will still be usable as _transportation_ if/when the radio doesn't work. 

When these pointy-clicky-pretty-graphics screens quit, you're many times looking for a new way to work.  I find this trend very disturbing.  We're looking at getting my wife a new daily-driver for her commute to and from work.  We are purposely-looking for _just_ a car, not a traveling Gameboy.  All she needs is _dependable_ transportation with A/C.  Given all the expense of these new gizmorides, I'm seriously thinking about finding some nice 70 Impala with a 350 and 134A A/C system and letting her drive that.  Sure, it's getting to be a rare and classic car, but I won't have to worry about getting a call from her saying there's a big white X on the screen and the car won't start. 

And you probably won't be seeing an XTS in someone's collection in 20 years.  There's just too much to fail that'll keep the car from being drivable that I'm certain the post-bailout car manufacturers won't feel obliged to support a day past the warranty.

But that's just me.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

CEC #20099

I waiting for someone to start writing an authenticity manual for these cars. Restoration in 25 years ought to be a real laugh. That is , if Cad is still in business.
CEC #20099

KD

Bill,
I think you really started something. You have a very nice car, but I still want to see your Hispano.
Ken d
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite