News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Flathead v8 322 Engine Rebuild

Started by csearider, October 07, 2012, 11:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csearider

I plan on rebuilding my 1940 LaSalle flathead. A search on google is exhaustive on Ford flatheads, but virtually nothing available on GM etc. I have mechanical skill on average but can be quite accomplished with a little reference and help. Does anyone know of a rebuild resource for our Cadillac/LaSalle engines?

I have noticed that qualified sources with actual experience on these old engines has become quite limited in the auto service market. I do not want someone to gather this experience on my engine rebuild. I am hoping I can get some help from those with this experience from this forum, but do not want to be a nuisance with endless questions. Therefore, if anyone can direct me to a rebuild guide ( I have specs) that would be a huge help.

I really feel that this type of info would benefit the club as it will be the future of younger folks buying our cars and fixing up garage finds as time goes on. I am an "Old Dog", but not too old to learn and do!

Dave Shepherd

Any shop that is experienced with Ford flatheads and has  the appropriate manuals, should have no trouble with the LaSalle.

harry s

One of the best resources is the shop manual for your car or other flathead models. There is also an excellent manual that was used by the Army for tank engine rebuilding and maintance. The Modified Chapter has this manual available through John Serio. Their website is
ModifiedCadillac.org. Also try some searches on this forum as there has been much discussion on the subject. Lastly don't feel bad about asking. There is always someone that has been there.
Good Luck,   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Fred Pennington 25635

Click on this link
Walt Brewer in the Rocky Mountain Region has written some great articles on rebuilding a flat head

http://www.rmrclc.com/waltsWorkBench.html

Good Luck
Fred P.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

csearider

The articles by Walt Brewer are invaluable! and accessible by web. Thanks for this tip.

Also on ebay is a WWII service manual for the M5 tank. This is the same engine as in the M5. It is extremely comprehensive and very reasonable @ $9.95 plus shipping. It has been put on the CD and from CD one can print in entirety. It covers how to completely rebuild the engine from top to bottom and is easy to read as it was written for those farm boys that worked on their tractors and gas station attendants that were most probably considered mechanically inclined in that time of need. Highly recommended!

bariman

I have recently done rebuilds myself on 2 39 Lasalle 322's.  Let me know if you have any specific questions.  Buchholz001@bellsouth.net