News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Air Condition Problem

Started by flw004, October 09, 2012, 01:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flw004

CLC, has the sharpest guy's out there and I know that my problem can be solved with your assistance.  I have a 1976 Eldorado, the a/c works when it wants to!  What I mean by that, it will be blowing cold from the dash vents just fine then the air flow just stops.  The compressor is running and the blower is pushing hot air from the bottom vent.
I'll shut the car off, position the switch to off, restart and the a/c may return to the dash vents.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated guy's......fritz 

CLC - 26222
1941 Toure Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1965 Coupe de Ville
1976 Eldorado Convertible

Gene Beaird

Hmmm, does that car have one of those Climate Control Programmers?  If so, the electrical connector may be loose.  The connector is an issue, the one on our 79 Seville melted part of the connector because of the looseness.  While I wait to find a replacement connector, I took some zip ties and wrapped them around the programmer to hold the top of the connector in place.  I haven't had time to road test that solution yet, but it's got to be better than it was. 

I pulled the dash apart to get to and test the climate control programmer (under the passenger side dash, it has a wiring harness and vacuum harness connected to it), and got everything to work, only to quit again after reassembling everything.  I then pushed on the connector and things just magically-worked.  So, the zip tie solution until I can get a more-permanent solution. 

If not, you may have a relay that's heating up and quitting on you.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Fritz,
The first step would be to check all the wiring and vacuum line connections and lines.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

waterzap

Look under the dash, on the passenger side. For the controller. Big black plastic box.
Put the climate control on Econ. Then turn from cold to hot. You should see the controller move a little rod above the controller. That’s the first step. If it moves, you can go from hot to cold. If not, could be a connection, a vacuum leak or the controller itself.
Leesburg, AL

Gene Beaird

So it does have the Climate control programmer.  Then definitely look at the electrical connector on the upper right side of that programmer.  It's where Waldo says it is.  It'll probably be a little tough to get to the electrical connector, as it will be on the other side of the vacuum connector. 

Intermittent operation would indicate a loose electrical connection to me.  I bet you'll find a loose connector.  According to CadillacTim, the connector is loose and problematic on these cars.  Mine's burnt at the big brown wire on the top of the connector, I suspect you'll at least find that pushing the connector into the programmer causes the system to work again, and may even find burned contacts like I have. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

flw004

Just as I thougt, you guy's are the best.  I'll start with the programmer and see what happens

.....Thanks again,

Landyachtcaptain

So, I also have a 76 Eldorado and I can't even get air to come out of the dash vents. I'll check all of these tips but am I looking at a new controller?
S. Thomas
'76 Eldorado Conv.
CLC# 27529

Dave Shepherd

I know I am a PITA with this ,but a factory manual coupled with an understanding how all the components the CC system work, is the only real way to pinpoint problems,unless one gets lucky and finds a plug loose a bad vac hose, which is not usually the case.

Gene Beaird

Dave, you are correct!  However, you can do some simple checks which may hopefully locate a problem and provide a solution. 

Not only do you need a FSM, but a Kent Moore Robinaire Climate Control Programmer analyzer is highly recommended:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=J23678+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m627

I got one of these, and was able to determine that the programmer on our Seville was in good working order.  The problems we had were : 1. disconnected cabin temp sensor, and 2. loose and burned electrical connector to the programmer. 

The analyzer is pretty common online, fairly cheap, and really the only way you can test the programmer. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873