News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1951 cadillac series 62 restoration advice

Started by caddy_rick, October 11, 2012, 11:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddy_rick

bought this car with the intention of restoring back to original.  Having second thoughts.  The car needs alot of work i started to dismantel the engine is original but needs to be rebuilt.  Im getting a little discouraged.  getting parts for this car is not easy missing door panels some mouldings (inside and out) so i started to think i should just swap out to newer engine and just go with a custom interior.  I know it really come down to what i want but i would like your comments.  I would like to have a car that is reliable with some power if heard of people putting 500ci engines in any suggestions.

thanks,

rick

D.Yaros

I can appreciate the discouragement setting in.  At the same time, if it was a "cake walk" there would be little pride on completion.  I say stay original, but I am a stubborn cuss!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

kkarrer

Rick,
     I restored a 1950 coupe (including engine and trans.) and was very happy with that car.  It was a nice cruiser and I had no problems with overheating like some of the later (56) models did.  I sold it to a guy in Holland and he still loves it, but before I sold it I got to use it as an "extra" on the movie Tree of Life. Got to meet Brad Pitt, but the footage with my car was edited out.  What I did was to start with the engine and trans and general front clip.  I removed the hood and radiator and everything in front of it including the bumper.  I sent the bumper to the chromer and the radiator to a radiator shop and the engine out for a complete rebuild while I worked with a friend to reseal the trans. and clean and paint the engine compartment, hood and fenders.  You'll want to check the spears that run down the side of the front fenders and the rocker stainless as well.  I really liked that engine.  It was the second year for the overhead valves and is really smooth.  I've gone the resto mod route on two other restorations, but I really felt that there was no need for that as the original drive train was well-engineered and parts are readily available.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

Caddy Wizard

51 engine and trans are very good units and once gone through will provide many years of trouble-free service.  These units are as reliable as modern one, in my experience.  Engine is very smooth.  Transmission is a little clunky compared to modern units, but won't break down on you.

If you put in modern drivetrain, the potential market for the car is cut by 90%.  Most old Cad folks won't look at a car with a modern drivetrain.

If  you like the car, don't give up (just take it slow, one thing at a time).  Don't disassemble the whole car.

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

52Cadillac

I think we all can relate to being discouraged on a project. Whether its a specific problem or the entire car. Sometimes I think I cause more problems then I'm repairing. Look for Otto's post listing all the Cadillac suppliers, etc. it tells you also what they have to offer. It's quite extensive.
Art is correct, non period interiors will not sell your for a decent price in the future, and yet you spent roughly the same time and money.
A piece at a time my friend. You'll get it.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

gene harl

Rick... If you will send me your email address,, I will send you a photo album of my 51 cdv rebuild,,it's not completely stock, but it looks good ( a/c,, cruise control,, 12 volts, elec.wipers,hyd. windows replaced with elec.,, wire wheels,) anyone Else who wants to look, send me a address
  Gene Harl CLC 22406......rgeneharlemail addresses not permitted...