News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Assembly line photos/videos

Started by soonerinmo, October 12, 2012, 01:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerinmo

Just curious if anyone has some favorite photos/videos of Detroit Assembly or other Cadillac lines. I'm fascinated by the manufacturing process these cars went through before robotics took over (especially when painting took a skilled hand). I'd like to know more about the paint process the first-gen. Seville went through (I've heard it was unique). I haven't found many video sippets but here's an interesting one...  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V890kKQ6IQA
Brian Combs ><>

'67 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Sold)
'08 DTS

Steve Passmore

This was well covered a few years back but hopefully more pictures will come to light.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

soonerinmo

Ok, nevermind..I tried finding a thread on the subject before posting this but no luck..
Brian Combs ><>

'08 DTS

C.R. Patton II

Hello Brian

I am very happy that you are curious and fascinated about the history of Cadillac. The best way to quench that thirst is to make a pledge to our CLC Museum & Research Center Celebrating the Standard Capital Campaign.

We are committed to providing a museum and research facility where research on Cadillacs, LaSalles and outstanding examples can be available to educate the public.

I look forward to your contribution and participation. Thank you.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

soonerinmo

Brian Combs ><>

'08 DTS

Steve Passmore

It took a while for me to find it Brian but heres the link to a past thread on this.  Some nices pics here.

6Technical / Authenticity / I wonder if someone can post Orginal Cadillac production line pictures?
« by Cadillac1955 on September 08, 2009, 01:02:18 PM »
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

soonerinmo

Brian Combs ><>

'08 DTS

Davidinhartford

soonerinmo

Brian Combs ><>

'08 DTS

LeRoy DeVol

The thing that would make these pictures very interesting is, until about 1970 Cadillac spent twice as much time producing there cars which gave them good quality in production. Now they are produced much the same as a Chevrolet. The price you pay for a Cadillac is just the Name & the Emblems they install. You can buy a Buick with all the upgrades that you will find on the Cadillac for about $12,000 less. Just to give you a example i bought 2 3'' emblems for my Cadillac & the cost was $180.00 plus tax.
Lee DeVol

The Tassie Devil(le)

The last time I went through a Cadillac Assembly Plant, (2002), the Buicks and Cadillacs were going down the same line.   It was funny seeing a Cadillac, then 2 Buicks, then 3 Cadillacs and then a Buick being built at the same time.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Davidinhartford

I toured the plant in 1990.  There were Toronados and Rivieras on the same line as the Eldorados.  I thought that looked funny too.    There was a separate wing of the building were we saw them mating up the Allante bodys to the drivetrains.    Those were not on an assembly line.   The Allantes were in bays and worked on individually.

Jeff Maltby 4194

49 engines coming down the assembly line.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Glen

When ever there is an assembly plant tour during a Grand National I always sign up for it.  I love those.  I think the first was the 1996 GN in Texas.  We went through the Arlington assembly plant.  All the rear wheel drive cars were assembled on that one line. 

I was impressed by a young lady assembling dashboards.  The dashboards were suspended from an overhead conveyor.  She grabbed a handful of parts from the parts bin and walked to meet the dashboard as it approached, and put the parts on with her power screw driver while walking backward.  She ran out of parts as she approached the parts bin, so she grabbed more parts and walked around to the other side of the dashboard and put the parts on while following the dashboard.  As that dashboard left the area she was back at the parts bin with a fresh batch of parts and was off to do it again on the next one.  While I know that is very similar to all the assembly line jobs that one stands out in my mind. 

The behind the scenes job of sequencing all those parts so that they arrive at the right point at the right time is even more amazing to me. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Guidematic

At one time all Cadillacs were built on lines that were about half the speed of other lines. Only people that had experience, and nmet certain standars were able to get work on the Cadillac line. hence the term in the 60's Önly Cadillac Craftsmen build Cadillacs"

Now like you say, they are built on the same lines as other cars at the same speed.

The new XTS is being built alongside the Buick LaCross in the Oshawa, Ontario plant. I'd like to tour that plant. Last year we went there to tour the Camaro line. They also build the Buick Regal on the same line. It's really interesting to see two cars that are completely differant from one another going down the same line.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69