News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

SUN machines

Started by CDV, October 13, 2012, 06:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDV

I started my collection with a tune up kit sans the vacuum gauge, " The Johnny " Washburn gave me one of those and two timing lights - one is a Snap-On.

Johnny has a vast collection of SUN machines and he knows how to repair and use them. Has the distributor machine too.

Brian Rachlin aka " 76 Eldo " offered a SUN machine 1015 at the Modified forum and I was fortunate to score that - thank you again Brian.

Lobbying the Johnny of " Washburn's Wisdom " fame to do a SUN machine article for the SS mag here.

Might even have the largest collection of SUN machines anywhere.

Porter Littlefield

CLC # 21919

CDV

My SUN machine 1015 that I got from Brian Rachlin.

I'm sure the Johnny can tutor me with the proper useage of this fine piece of automotive diagnostic equipment from yesteryear.

Johnny claims he's a useless fount of Cadillac automotive info but I'm all ears.

Porter Littlefield

CLC # 21919

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Guidematic

Great score! These are great tools to have. Very useful in the art of tuning these older engines.

I scored one of the later allen scopes last spring. I haven't had a chance to use it much, but it aided in the diagnosis of an engine miss on my '90 Brougham, which turned out to be a split vacuum hose.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Jeff Maltby 4194

Welcome back pal ~:<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Jeffco,

Nice picture. is that some special machine to watch XXX movies?

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

CDV

The Johnny is not one to showcase his collection of SUN equipment so I'll do it for him.

Still stuff out there to be had but not for much longer so best to grab it when you can if you are into this type of thing equipment wise.

This stuff cost a fortune when new, only good for tuning the old cars but for me the diagnostic and the tuning is the hobby.

I deal with the carb rebuilding and the autobody and paint work too but I prefer the clean diagnostic tuning work. Order a blue work suit for my SUN machine patch and pocket protector the Johnny sent me too - serious business operating this equipment - you have to act the part and dress properly.

Porter Littlefield

CLC # 21919

CDV

Quote from: Guidematic on October 15, 2012, 09:21:12 AM
Great score! These are great tools to have. Very useful in the art of tuning these older engines.

I scored one of the later allen scopes last spring. I haven't had a chance to use it much, but it aided in the diagnosis of an engine miss on my '90 Brougham, which turned out to be a split vacuum hose.

Mike

Cool, so the Allen diagnostic device can actually determine you have a vacuum leak ?

A very late model unit you have there. For the most part the garages have no use for these units since the newer cars have OBD and they just take up space in their garage and they want rid of them.

You have to grab this equipment locally and if you follow CL it shows up once in awhile - $ 100 just so they can be rid of it and get something for it before they just toss it.

Porter Littlefield

CLC # 21919

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Porter,

Sadly my sickness knows no bounds. I also have a few big old Allen Diagnostic units... and much more.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

CDV

Johnny,

We enjoy your sickness and can only hope to learn more from the master.

Somebody has to carry the torch with this old time diagnostic equipment - disciples of " Washburn's Wisdom " Hall of Fame  shame if you will.

That Sheriff Pat , you guys had me going .... thought he was a real sheriff. Can't trust any of your friends these days at least not to pull a gag on you.

Porter Littlefield

CLC # 21919

CDV

Bonus picture, The Johnny's Hall of Shame crue.

Johnny of " Washburn's Wisdom " SS mag fame, Tim Coy of SS mag Art director fame, Walt Brewer of  Walt's Work Bench fame -  a flat head engine extraordinaire expert and Sheriff Pat of some sort of fame.
I thought he was a real sheriff and the Johnny lead me down the primrose .........

Truly a privilege and an honor to associate with these fine Cadillac aficionados and to be a member of the premier Cadillac and Lasalle Club.

Porter Littlefield

CLC # 21919

Guidematic

Great pics there boys!

One of these days I may score a real bon-a-fide Sun distributor machine as well. If I don't use it much, it would be great garage jewellery.

With the Allen machine I also scored a Snap-On scanner, otherwise known as "The Brick" It's the tool to have for the pre OBDII cars. Very intuitive and functions a lot better than the OTC scanner I have.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

CDV

The Johnny has a functional SUN Distributor machine ( an electrical engineer and he repairs these rigs ) , I'm still lobbying for him to do a " Washburn's Wisdom " SS mag articles to teach us how to use these SUN machines for tune up : carb adjustment , timing and distributor settings or otherwise.

He claims he's a useless fount of automotive info but I beg to differ , I'm all ears. As I tell my friends just listen and humor me ............

Dr. Washburn of SUN machine fame.

Porter Littlefield

CLC # 21919

CDV

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on October 15, 2012, 06:19:38 PM
Jeffco,

Nice picture. is that some special machine to watch XXX movies?

The Johnny

Johnny just humor Jeffo, we all know he has a " heavy metal " problem so don't take him too seriously.

Might even finish my 66 CDV before his 49 Fast back gets done, we'll see. I think he started on his Cadillac before I did on mine but after ten years like sometime this century in our lifetime ?

Porter Littlefield

CLC # 21919