News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac add trunk pull down option questions

Started by Scot Minesinger, October 14, 2012, 10:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

My 1970 Cadillac convertible trunk is from a coupe and it seals real well plus looks great.  The convertible had a thinner trunk skin.  The only drawback is that the trunk is a Little difficult to shut.  Have the auto release.  Purchased a pull down assembly, complete with electric release for me to add on.  Have another 1970 Cadillac convertible with correct trunk skin and it shuts perfect, but will be adding the pull down option to it as well anyway.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for me on how to make this work a little easier?  It looks like a lot of work.  I will bolt the bracket to the trunk rather than welding.  Hate welding, will drill through second nut and bolt to insert cotter pin, so fasteners will be as effective as a weld. 

Does anyone know why the convertible trunk skins are so tinny and thin?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Scot,
Several things. First the deck lid. The MPB makes no mention of a conv. only deck lid. The closability could be caused by any # of things.
There are 2 separate things here.
#1 The dealer ONLY installed deck lid release. It could be vacuum or electric depending on the year.
#2 The factory ONLY trunk release & pull down. The release could be vacuum or electric depending on the year.
The reason it was factory only is, the bracket that holds the mechanical closing unit is VERY different from the standard bracket. And... it's securely spot welded to the rear body lip just like the standard bracket.  Plus there's a bracket welded to the inner wheel house as a cable guide. Many people selling a trunk conversion "kit" have limited knowledge of what's required & their  kits are incomplete.  Do you have all those parts?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Scot Minesinger

Yes have the bracket that was welded to the trunk, but don't have the cable guide that was welded to the inner wheel well.  However, I am good at making things and could probably manufacture that cable guide.  On the trunkclosing,it is perfectly aligned when closed and leak tight, so probably not going to make any adjustments that way.  This is an electric system.  Can you send me a picture of the cable guide?  My e-mail is rscotm@cox.net
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty