News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Think I have a big problem

Started by aod92, October 14, 2012, 01:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aod92

I took my 472 motor from my 70 deville to a local shop to have the rear main seal, intake gasket, timing chain, and oil pan gaskets done. The first time I should have known there was a problem is when he installed my intake on the motor backwards. Even after he turned it the right way, it's seeping oil out of the back of the intake. Now for my big problem. He did the rear main which means he had to loosen up the main caps to get the rear main seal in. Now I'm getting a ticking sound from the bottom of the motor. I got under the car with it running, and its coming from the oil pan. It's pretty loud, and gets louder when you rev it. Almost sounds like a nasty exhaust leak. What could he have done wrong?does it sound like he didn't torque the mains right, and possibly spun a bearing? I'm very frustrated right now, and your help is appreciated.... :-\

D.Yaros

Sounds to me as though you need an attorney as much, if not more, than you need a mechanic?
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Dave Shepherd

Engine noises are almost impossible to diagnose on the net, all I can say is a ticking noise usually does not indicate a bearing issue.

Scot Minesinger

Yes, I am very sorry for your trouble.  This is the very unfortunate part of the hobby-dealing with mechanics.  Have offered a few scenarios where it may not be much of a problem at all.  Although of course I may be wrong.

OK, try removing the flywheel cover first and see if the problem does not go away.  I had the exact same problem and that resolved it.  The flywheel may be just interfering with cover a bit and causing this problem.  If that makes the problem go away, reattach the flywheel cover with some washers between trans and cover to space the cover away from the wheel.  Alternatively look for the shiny spot inside the cover and use a ball peen hammer to make some corrections.  Also look for dents in the valve covers and oil pan too.

On the intake manifold, there are two pieces of rubber that go with the gasket front and back and those could have been omitted or installed incorrectly.  This is not serious, but manifold needs to come off to correct.  Hopefully when he installed the manifold on backwards nothing got stressed or cracked.  What a complete idiot the mechanic is.

On this botched job, document it now.  Get it all written down with pictures.  Courts generally think car hobby people are premadonas (spelling).  If you can't explain this to an impartial 12 year old child and they agree with you, then expect defeat in court.  Practice on an audience that is non technical.

Being in the hobby it would be preferable to write a check like I do on my daily drivers.  Unfortunately, these mechanics refuse to read even when you photo copy sheets form the shop manual and highlight what is important.  I cannot stress how bad they seem to be.  To resolve the problem I do everything myself whenever possible.  It tales longer, but at least it is done right.  Plus if a problem develops from my repair, it is fairly easy to figure out where I went wrong and correct it quickly.  If you were smart enough to afford a classic Cadillac and the associated upkeep, you are probably smart enough to figure it out.  This started for me when my climate control on my 1970 did not work and I had to fix it myself.  It was so beyond rewarding when cold air started emanating from the dash vents.

Good luck,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

aod92

I usually do most of my own work. But me being new to Cadillacs wanted it done right, and that bit me in the ass! I even did research, and was told rave reviews about this shop. I did talk to the guy earlier today, and he is gonna come out to my house to look at the car.

Dave Shepherd

Don't get ahead of yourself here this may not be related to their work.

TJ Hopland

The dipstick tube sticks a fair way down into the pan, perhaps that got bent and is hitting something?   I know on the Eldo's which use a different pan and the other hole in the block its got to be bent just right not to hit anything. 

Who bolted the engine back up to the trans?  Are you sure it was done properly?  Not getting the torque converter bolts tight can make noise.   Not having the torque converter seated into the pump all the way can lead to damage to both the flex plate and transmission.

Who put the engine back in the car?  Was it with or without the trans?  I have seen them get banged around and bent the flex plate so either the bolts hit something or the ring gear hits the starter.

Speaking of exhaust leaks what was done with the exhaust manifolds and such? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Again, really sorry about this. 

Document that visit out to your house if you can without angering the mechanic, maybe snap some flashless pictures?

I worked on Fords, Chev, Olds, and basically you can read the shop manual and it will be OK.  The first engine removal ever was on my 472.  The rear main seal and intake manifold were not difficult.  The intake manifold has the cylinder numbers on it, and so everyone knows # 7 and 8 are not in front.  There also pegs in the manifold to heads so that it can't be installed backwards.  It amazes me (not in a good way) that someone could install the intake manifold backwards.  Never use this shop again and go back to doing all work you can yourself.  How you could do worse than this?  Had to delete some unhelpful comments I made about the mechanic before sending you this.

Had the front springs replaced by a mechanic and despite my highlighting important sections of the shop manual copies they still screwed it up.  I feel your pain.

Good luck   

aod92

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I installed the engine back into the car. The converter is seated correctly, and the bolt are not touching anything. As for the exhaust, they also installed new flange studs into the manifolds, which they stripped one out that I had to helicoil.

Scot Minesinger