News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How valid is the 1st 1959 Biarritz

Started by Trekman777, October 20, 2012, 02:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trekman777

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help in advising on how legitimate the claim is that the current listing on e bay for the first 59 eldorado is correct? I wonder as the data tag is not stamped as all others are where it says 'FW1', and the car is number 10 on cadillacs 59 factory run. I made the guy a pretty good offer but wonder what anyone else thinks of the validity and the value of a fair price would be for thuis car in this condition, thank you very much for any help.

Steve Passmore

Theres recently been a good sized discussion of the value and validity of that very car!  Look down through past threads under "General Discussion"

Look under     $2,500,000 Eldorado   October 4th
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

wrefakis

for whatever it is worth,that is the first 59 biarritz, the next 2 produced were twins silver with white buckets ,cars # 3 and 4 by body tag built sept 22, the next one was body # 2 the twin to car # 1, the first 4 all had bucket seats

David King (kz78hy)

That is the 1st Biarritz made, based on the numbers.  Note the 1st 2 cars are Eldorado Broughams.  All the photos in the ad are real and that is great documentation.

The VIN broadcast has all ordered models in random order.  So there were 9 other cars made before that Biarritz was made, but it was the 1st one. 

I'm not sure how much of a premium that adds to the car and this one is the poster child of "basket case".  Good color, Hampton Green Poly.

The 1st 22 cars on the list were GM corporate ordered cars with #21 being a studio car that became X60 and SO trim.

Also, the 1st 20 cars all had the same key codes.

Good stuff.  This would be a nice car to have, but lots of work ahead for the next owner.

David

Added the link for the ebay ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DOCUMENTED-1st-1959-ELDORADO-BIARRITZ-CONVERTIBLE-/261114378836?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3ccba13a54#v4-42
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Ian,
I think you're getting good info & I think the car is real. I would NOT buy the car without a close personal inspection. Will he send more detailed pics? This guy is too vague. Also, while his feedback is good, all the items he's sold are low $ nick-nacks. There IS a reason, maybe other than price, that he still owns the car. Paying a guy like Bill Refakis to assist you would be a good idea. I'm sure the guy would have no problem ending the auction while you're standing there. Pay him, load up the car & parts & leave. Make sure he's got a good title.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

If I'm not mistaken, the "car" was declared a no-sale @ ~$50,000+/-. Personally I don't see any great premium attached to being the first Biarritz- perhaps 5%, if that.

FWIW- A very well known condition #2 '59 Biarritz owned by a recently deceased CLC member was sold for $130,000 within the past year. Said car had been in his family since new and sported <30,000 miles, totally original save for a refinish in the original color of Persian Sand which is one of the most desireable '59 Eldo colors. Considering the amount refused for this project, well...you do the math.

Correction: $75K was offered by a member here...and refused. Let's see... a one-family owned original #2 Persian Sand car with sub-30K miles for $130K or an [incomplete] assemblage of pieces, > $75K...duh. ::)

Trekman777

Thanks to all who contributed on this thread, I have learned a great deal.

76eldo

The guy's ebay listing says the reserve is in the 200's meaning above 200K.  Yikes!

Maybe if the car was a mint pristine low mileage cream puff, AND was the first Biarritz assembled in 1959, OR had some very unique features that a pilot car would have, there would be some additional value there.

Basically, this car is a project, basket case, and the seller states there will be some pieces missing.  If someone buys it and restores it, you will have another totally restored 59 Eldo convertible, and it will not be worth any more than any other totally restored 59 Eldo convertible.

I think it's better to start off with a $40,000 basket case than one for $200.000 PLUS.

Just my opinion, but I don't think there is extra value there.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

When offered $75K, the seller should have accepted the money and said, "Thank you".

Scot Minesinger

Have to agree with majority of responders, a disassembled car with some rust compiled in two locations is quite a negative even for a valueable car.  Neat cars themselves are great.  The fact that a movie star owned it, it was the first or the last, is not significant to adding value to a car with few exceptions.  The car is maybe worth 5k more than any other two groups of 1959 Eldorado parts claimed to make a whole car with rust- maybe 10k to 15k tops?

If owned a car that was worth 2.5million disassembled, it would have to be worth 3.0 million restored, I would restore it and it would be much easier to sell. 

Good luck,
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty