News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New Grundy insurance options?

Started by TJ Hopland, October 21, 2012, 09:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Watching a car show on TV and they had Jim Grundy talking about their 'new MVP' program that covers all your motor vehicles.   He says they now have 3 classes.   Collector (same as its always been weekend and shows only), Occasional driver (apparently you can drive to work and the store), and daily driver.    They will also do RV's and bikes.  Supposedly you can call them and say you want to change one of your cars status.     

Anyone have this coverage or talk to them and find out what the catch is? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

There probably is no catch. I have dealt with them for years and had one claim that was handled quickly and generously.

The collector policy as it is allows for occasional driving other than car shows and if you take the car to work once in a while its ok. They just don't want to cover an older car that you use as a daily driver at the low collector car rates.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

When I talked to them a few years ago I specifically asked if I could ever drive my car to work and they clearly said no. 

On the TV show he said with this new program they had you could drive an old car to work some of the time if you told them that was what you were going to do.  He said that if you say its a daily driver its regular rates, if you say its an occasional daily driver its typically 30% discount, and the standard collector policy is still typically in the 70% range. 

Lately I have been driving an old car as a semi daily driver.  The current one is pretty much a beater but it opens up the possibility of driving something nicer if you can actually get a decent policy to cover it. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

The show with the Grundy segment is available online,  click on the 'Autogeek Garage' segment in the video window to the right.

http://www.myclassiccar.com/episode/16/05/

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

R Schroeder

More than likely they are changing to keep up with Hagerty. I believe Hagerty offers all types of insurance too.
I have no mileage restrictions on my policy. Drive it when I want to. I don't work anymore , so I wouldn't be taking the car to work, but I wouldn't do that anyway.
It is becoming more open and competitive I guess. All depends on the cost I guess.
Roy

pauldridge

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Hagerty fan.  We have 14 vehicles on our Hagerty policy, including a vintage BMW motorcycle.  The total annual premium is about $2,400 or less than $200/vehicle.  This even includes a 2001 BMW 540 and 2002 Lexus SC430 as well as the 'classic' vehicles.  As long as you can provide one vehicle you can designate as your 'daily driver', they are pretty lenient on what vehicles they cover.

There are no mileage constraints on any of the vehicles, just the stipulation that you are not using it for daily commute (I'm retired, so that isn't an issue).

This premium also includes unlimited towing up to 125 miles for ALL cars we own, even those not covered under the policy  (I just had my 5th tow this year.. not a penny paid out for any of them)

In addition, claims processing is a dream.  We had a freak in-garage damage  to my vintage BMW coupe of about $3,000.. called them up, sent pics of the damage and an estimate from my favorite repair shop, had a check in the mail within days. 

Finally, last Dec. we had a burglary break in at my workshop, lost many tools and equipment.  Again, within a week of filing the claim with Hagerty (I didn't even know the policy covered tools and parts until a friend alerted) I had a check on the way for almost ten grand.

I'm not affiliated with Hagerty, just very, very pleased with their coverage and service.  After my own experiences, I wouldn't even think about shopping around at premium renewal time!
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

52Cadillac

I've also use Hagerty. No claims yet, but nice to know if it happens it'll be hassle free.

Paul, that is one beautiful automobile in your post.
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)