News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

68 Eldorado Power Window Problems

Started by Forgiven1989, October 21, 2012, 05:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forgiven1989

I just found out that the passenger side, and both rear windows don't work off their own switches.  They all three do work off the driver side master switch and also if you hold the emergency switch at the master, they will work off that circuit using their own switch individually.  I suppose that there is one positive wire which must lead to all the three windows. Anyone know where to start?  Thanks.

Rob Troxel

You need to look in the conduit that runs between the drivers door and the body.  I am quite sure you will discover there are broken wires in the conduit from all the open and closing of the drivers door.  I had no less than 5 wires broken in my  68 Eldorado with 65000 miles on the clock.  This was also a common problem on the 66-70 Rivieras.  I soldered in replacement wiring rather than trying the butt wire joiners.  I'll bet someone else can also chime in with experience on the issue too.

Keep us posted

Davidinhartford

My 68 Eldo had the same problem.  Several wires in the tube between the door and body had broken.    Very common (unfortunately) on these cars.   The good news is it is fixable.

Glen

I’ll bet that if you hold the door open in just the right place the windows will work.  That’s not a solution but if I am right it will prove the problem is in the door conduit. 

This is probably more common in the cars with power door locks because the conduit is also occupied by the vacuum hoses for that system. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104