News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

39 coupe windshield replacement tips

Started by lou-q, October 21, 2012, 06:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

I'm going to replace the windshields due to major scratching from years of wiper use. I can't see when headlights hit it.
I did a search but didn't come up with anything.
I would like some imput and tips on doing this job. I've never replaced a windshield before so any info would be highly appreciated.
This car has the stainless trim and and rubber seal.
I want to get the stainless trim out without damageing it.
Also what kind of caulking or adhesive should be used.
Thanks,
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Steve Passmore

I wrote a comprehensive piece once on this once. email me and Ill send you a copy.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

LeRoy DeVol

Lou,  This is not a job you should do yourself. The first thing you need to do is to buy a new rubber seal, the glass is flat and any glass shop will be able to cut a new one for you. With no experience this is not a easy job. The glass shops will not have the seal & if it is old it may leak. If you are not sure, go to a glass shop & see if they think they can use it & do a good job.

Lee DeVol

lou-q

Thanks Lee,
I have all new rubber seals and new glass, all I need is the time.
I don't think I'm going to get to it until Spring since  the car is in Indiana and we are going home to Florida next week.
I figured that I can remove the old glass and rubber and see what i'm up against.
I also have the option of a guy that does windshields for a living(he lives 60 miles away).
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Hi Lou,

Here is a brief response that I wrote to another member.  This is the installation for a 39 5019, which I presume is very similar, if not identical to yours.

When I replaced the windshield on my 39 it was nice to have a second person to help.  One guy held the windshield in place while the other applied the butyl.  Here is the sequence I did it in.

1. Get the windshield in place, I did a quick test fit before applying any sealant.
2. I placed two small beads on the windshield.  One between the seal and glass, and another between the seal and the body.  To make things a little easier, You can place a couple very small dabs of glue between the seal and body.  This is not required, and the seal should stay in without glue.
3. Press the windshield in place and install the trim ring to hold it in place
4. Install the center seal and apply another bead of butyl.  I noticed that at one point in my cars history there was a leak in this location, so I made sure there was a proper seal.
5. install the center trim piece.
6. After the windshield is in place, I put one more small bead where the seal met the stainless.
7. Wipe off the excess butyl.

Before installing the windshield into the car, I placed the glass in the seal for a couple weeks.  This probably was not necessary, but I wanted to make sure the seal had a chance to conform to the glass.

Hope this helps,
Dave
David Schumacher
1939 Lasalle 5019

lou-q

Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe