News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

39 trunk support release spring

Started by lou-q, October 21, 2012, 08:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

Doe anyone know of a source for the release catch spring for the tunk support.
I need one.
I'll try to post a picture.
Thanks,
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Bob Schuman

Lou,
I bought one from Charlie Babcock, Sarasota, Florida, several years ago. He may still have some.

Can you tell me how ro disassemble the support to replace the spring? My 40 LaSalle 52 Series coupe needs that done, and I don't see how it comes apart.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

kkarrer

Yes, Charlie Babcock is a good source for that spring.  There are also two coil springs that hold up the trunk.  It's a nice finishing touch to clean and replace those and not to just paint them body color as I've often seen.  Those arms were zinc plated if memory serves and a galvanized paint or cadmium color paint like Eastwood's silver cad paint looks good there.  One of those springs is often cracked or broken as well.  I've made a tool for removing and replacing those springs.  It's a simple 7/16th's bolt with a split end.  I can send you one if you'd like.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

lou-q

Thanks Ken,
Charlie Babcock is out of the Cadillac parts bussines, he sold it all to another guy in Florida named Steve Cooley.
I called him today and he had the springs I needed ($18.00 each).
The trunk supports are still zinc or cad plated and are in good shape, also the coil springs at the bottom are good.
Now I would like to find some headlight gaskets for when I get the reflectors re-silvered.
I have all winter to gather part that I will install in the Spring when we get back to our farm in Indiana where the car is.
Thanks again,
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

kkarrer

Lou,
     I hope Charlie is doing ok.  I know he was having some health issues.  I've only spoken to Steve Cooley once. It might be a good idea to post his contact info here.  Charlie has been a great resource for hard to find 40's parts and general advice for a long time.  He's a great guy.
Thanks for the info.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

Bruce Berghoff -#1476

Steve Cooley Motors, Inc. is located at 8710 W. Tradeways Ct. Homosassa, FL. 34448 and can be reached at (352) 382-2271. I've been dealing with Steve for about 5 years and he's very reliable. bb

lou-q

I recieved the springs on friday from Steve Cooley Motors and they were very easy to replace.
The trunk supports now work as they should.
Thanks to all for the help!

Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us