News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1973 eldorado climate control

Started by sjckn, October 22, 2012, 03:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjckn

I found the vacuum lines partially disconnected on the climate control box at the passenger side (hissing). I plugged the cluster back in now I don't have the hissing but I get a constant clicking like a switch going on/off. I am able to get air flow directed properly and heat/no heat. It seems to be working but I need to eliminate the clicking noise. any suggestions?

Thanks
Scott   

cadillactim

The clicking sound is probably the programmer. The clicking sound is the programmer "hunting" for the correct position. When the programmer adjusts to the correct position, the circuitry then wants to change the position again. And so the hunting and clicking continue. (The potentiometer in the circuitry is a big culprit).

The only real way to fix it is to overhaul the programmer.

I do sell them rebuilt if you need one.

Tim

Tim Groves

TJ Hopland

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

sjckn

Well I took the car out again last evening and now the clicking has stopped. It is probably going to be one of those things that comes and goes.

I will be driving the car a few more times before putting it away for the winter.

Tim, thanks for the information and I may be talking to you about a programmer if the problem persists.

TJ Hopland

Mine only clicks under certain settings and temp conditions.   This would make sense based on what Tim is saying about the programmer.  Some conditions its 'happy' and other settings its got the problem where it can't find what its looking for.    My 73 is a convert without working AC so it spends 98% of its life on econ (or what ever it was called in 73?) with the dial at 60.   It never clicks like that.    It usually will not click in the auto settings if its set for heat and conditions require heat.   It will click if the interior gets past the set temp so that it would be calling for AC.  I always assumed it had something to do with the lack of working AC and it was just waiting for some cool air.   Now that I think about it I don't actually know if it will send air out the vents.  I know it will do the floor and defroster.  Maybe the issue on mine is it cant find the dash setting?   Its been like that for the 18 years that I have had the car and overall has not really bothered me but someday I figure I will have to get it working.   I have 3 parts cars, shop manual, and an electronics background so I figure it should not be that hard to figure out once I decide it needs to be figured. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason