News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1975 Cadillac Eldorado - Need Carburetor

Started by djrobnyc, October 23, 2012, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djrobnyc

I had a previous post about my 75 having a gas smell - especially noticeable after shutting it off and putting it away in the garage. Fuel lines were scoped - and were fine, but mechanic says the carburetor is leaking - he seems some "sweat" done by the accelerator cable, so his recommendation is to replace the carb. He's going to try and source one - but anyone out here have recommendations for this part? A supplier? Thanks!

Rob Melstein

EAM 17806

ROB! I recommend you try HOBB'S CARBURETOR SHOP, PELHAM, NH 1-603-635-2415. I have used them for my 76 Coupe de Ville carb and found them to be very fair and of high quality work.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TJ Hopland

I would just get the current one properly rebuilt by someone that knows what they are doing.   Last one I had done was about $150 carried in.  That included throttle shaft bushings.  It was a while ago so it could have gone up.    Some of the 75's had a unique carb that actually had 6 jets in it.   My 75 had one of those and actually somehow got almost 20 mpg.   Rest of my similar Eldos get in the lower teens.   Not sure if it was that carb or what the deal was.  A non abused carb is pretty easy to clean up and put new gaskets in.  Bushing the throttle shafts takes some special tools that is not worth buying unless you have a bunch to do.   The problem comes if the carb has been modified or abused, that is where sending it to someone that really knows these carbs is the way to go because they can look at em and know what got screwed up.   An example is that there are basically 2 gasket kits that cover 100's of Q jet models so you have maybe 3 base gaskets that are all slightly different.  Normally you just match up the old one to the new one.  Problem comes if the last guy matched up the wrong one, you end up putting on the same wrong one.  Sometimes the differences can be pretty subtle. 

IF you do decide to go with another carb DO NOT get rid of your current one.    The 'new' one may never run correctly and if that turns out to be the case you will be glad you still have it to send to a good carb shop to be properly rebuilt. 

IF you let us know the general part of the world you are in maybe someone will know of a good carb shop in your area.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

djrobnyc

Thanks for the advice...

I'm located in Westchester County, NY - about 35 miles north of NYC.

R Melstein