News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

transmission removal which bolts come out ?

Started by mr41cadillac, October 23, 2012, 06:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

ok i got the drive shaft out. now for transmission removal. lokks like 4 big bolts hold it inbehind the flywheel? are those the ones to remove or does flywhhel come out? also my mechanic said remove linkage any suggestion are greatly appreciated. thanks for yalls advice on the drive shaft. were are going to go thre entire engine and transmission. john

harry s

John, Those four (3/4") bolts hold the transmission to the bell housing should be last to come out. You need to remove the shift linkage (2), speedometer cable and cross member. The cross member is also the rear motor mount, so you will need to support the rear of the engine. When all is disconnected and bolts removed slide the transmission rearward until the input shaft clears the bell housing and then drop it down. We are talking about a standard shift I hope.  If not the procedure is a little different. Disconnect the linkage, remove speedo cable. Support the rear of the engine and then remove the front transmission inspection cover, remove multiple bolts around flywheel , remove the rear cross member, support transmission with a suitable jack, then remove bolts holding the front housing to the engine block.  Good Luck,  Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

mr41cadillac

harry thanks yes its a standard shift. i already have the oil pan off so do i need to put it back on to support the rear of the engine ? also i assume in your reply that the last 4 sentences apply to an automatic ? thanks john

Steve Passmore

Harry's comprehensive reply tells you everything you need to know, as you say, the last part is for Auto.  Its best to have the pan on the support the engine but its possible to pull the engine and gearbox together if you wanted to.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jay Friedman

I would just like to add that a good way to support the engine is to put a solid piece of wood, such as a 6 or 8 inch length of 2" x 4", on a floor jack and raise the jack and piece of wood snugly against the rear of the oil pan.  The wood protects the oil pan from damage from the jack.

Also, the manual transmission is pretty heavy; you can lower (and raise) it on a 2nd jack--the best is a transmission jack--or it can be done with 2 guys, the second person acting as a helper.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Mike Simmons 938

I would also suggest cutting the heads off two 3" or longer  bolts, cutting a slot in each so that you can use them as removable studs. That way, you loosen and remove the two top bolts first and replace them with these headless wonders. They support the trans once you start sliding it out of the clutch (protects the fingers of the clutch.
Reverse the procedure when installing the trans.
Mike Simmons 938

mr41cadillac

ok thanks everyone i got it out with 2 floor jacks. looks like green paint on transmission was this the original color and if so where can it be bought reasonable? thanks