News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Idle Stop Solenoid

Started by ryan.herring.sr, October 24, 2012, 05:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryan.herring.sr

First off, let me thank all for the information that I have gotten from here. It has been a great help, through direct answers and all of the great posts throughout the Forums.

I do need a little help again. I am not at home right now so I will have to do my best to describe what it is that i need. On the passenger side of my 1960 Deville Carb is what I believe to be an Idle Stop Solenoid. It does not seem to be working. If I physically push the choke plate closed that the solenoid should be pushing on the Caddy Will turn over pretty easy. I recently had my carb rebuilt so I am pretty sure that it is not the cause. I have her tuned pretty good, but she is hard to start.

I would appreciate any pointers on narrowing down a wiring diagram to check that possibility, also any pointers on possible sources for replacing the assembly should troubleshooting dictate that be the cause.

Thanks all.

R. Herring

Seans 66

Ryan:

Are you sure its an idle stop?  It may be a downshift switch for the transmission.  My 66 has a downshift switch that has two wiring connectors and four wires or so going in and out of it.  When the car is off and you press it in, you can hear an audible click in the transmission.  There is a small plunger that is attached to a bracket next to the carb as well and it is designed to slow the rate of throttle plate closure so the car doesn't stall. 

Idle stop solenoids didn't really start coming out until the 70's with all the wonderful jury-rigged emissions stuff they were doing and were used to close off the throttle plates when you shut off the car to prevent dieseling.  I had a Duster that had an idle stop and it stopped working and the car would diesel something fierce!  One time it did it for over a minute.  I figured out it was the solenoid, replaced it and the problem went away. 

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

IF you have an AFB, the device on the passenger side of the carb at the top in the rear should be the AC idle speed up actuator.  This is activated when the AC is turned on and pr4esses on the linkage at the choke side of the carb. to speed up the idle.
Idle stop solonoids were not used until the advent of E"
Emissions controls".
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

ryan.herring.sr

I have attached a picture of the carb that my wife was gracious enough to take for me. The item i am referring to is the silver cylinder in the bottom left that has two wires coming out of the back and a vacuum connection on the side.

R Schroeder

Not sure about your device. First one that I have seen, but that gas line doesn't look to good with the kink in it. Can be restrictive.
Roy