News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Whitewall tires for 1996 Fleetwood

Started by mcoleman, October 30, 2012, 07:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcoleman

1996 fleetwood came with 235/70R15 Michelin.  I would like to know if American Classic 235/75R15 will fit without any problems?

M. Coleman

Dave Shepherd

The only difference is the 75 tire is somewhat narrower and taller, most compnaies have a tire size fitment chart, your speedo will read slightly less then actual speed.

62droptop

there is approx 1'' difference in diameter

if you are reall concerned about clearance, you can go to a used tire place and pick up a cheap 235 75 15 tire and mouont it to one of your rims and than try it front and rear to see if any clearance issues exist
there are about 20 revolutions per mile less with the 75 series tire

so speedo will be reading slower than you are going by a couple mph
probably make it dead on as most cars read optimistic anyway

you may notice a softer ride and a minutely more delay in handling  as the taller sidewall takes a bit longer to respond to steering inputs
probably not enough to really notice unless you push the car hard

TMoore - NTCLC

Hi Major -

If you are just looking for some driver tires for your Fleetwood, Hankook makes a correct size whitewall in their MileagePlus series 235/70/R15- with a 620 wear rating.  The whitewall is a little smaller than I prefer, but it sure beats a blackwall.  I have been running them for a couple of years now without any issues, and they are quieter than the Michelins they replaced.

Usually available at Discount Tire, which runs frequent specials.

T Moore

Guidematic

I ordered a set of Hankook P235 70R15 WW for my '90 Brougham. When I went to have them installed, I was informed that they are no longer made in WW for that size. I had to settle for P225 75 R15, which really don't look as nice on the aluminum rims I have on the car. (90's Caprice with Cadillac centres)

I have been looking for whitewall P235 70R15 for my '94 Fleetwood. It seems outside of Coker or Vogue, they are a dying breed. However a more recent search turned up Kumho that are made in WW in that size.

The rim width on the '93-'96 Fleetwood is 7" I believe, and some 75 series tires may shoulder out causing more of the shoulder area of the tire to be in contact with the road. Also, the taller size may interfere with turning, allowing the tire to rub on the fender or chassis. I would suggest you install one tire on the front to make sure there are no clearance issues.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

62droptop

i am currently running 235 75 15 on 8''rims  with no issues

diamond back tires can make pretty much any tire you want into a whitewall any size you want

okccadman

I have been running 235 75 15 Hercules whitewalls on my 95 and 67 Fleetwoods and couldnt be happier with them.  They are reasonably priced, great quality and American made.  If you have a Hercules store near you, check them out.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

936CD69

I just called our vendor at work. they state they have 50+ Hankook Mileage II plus 235/70-15 whitewalls in stock. So there are some out there.....
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Scot Minesinger

The size 235/75 will be fine.  I enjoyed a 1995 Fleetwood for 254k miles and all the replacement tires were the 75 series, because they were $100 cheaper per tire and no difference whatsoever was noticed driving, appearance and etc.  I really babied that car, but just thought the 70 series was a waste.

Sometimes my passengers made fun of me for driving an old man car.  When they saw the 25mpg highway and their necks snapped at the stoplight, they were praising my choice.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Guidematic

I'm getting to the point where I'll need to replace the tires on my '94 Fleetwood. I'd like to see a set of 75 series tires installed on one of these cars before I decide to take the plunge. I do like the look of the 70 series, why I wanted them for my '90. I installed a set of used 70 series on the '90 and ran them for a couple of yeasrs until the belts began to separate. They looked great. The 75 series tires just aren't the same.

I have has Hercules MX Plus on my '70 Fleetwood for 15 years, on my second set now. I have been more than satisfied with them.

And yes Scot, these Fleetwoods are hot rods. The power is tremendous, and they just don't stop pulling. At least until the speed limiter cuts in. I wonder what the top speed would be if the limiter were disabled. And the fuel economy is also incredible. Amazing for such a large car.

Mike

TJ Hopland

Im not sure how different the Fleetwood and Roadmasters were but I bought a 96 Roadmaster that had 235 75 15's on it and they rubbed.   Did not have that problem on my other Roadmasters with 225's.    IF you are looking at a vendor that has a white wall in a 235 they likely also have it in a 225.  The 225 75 is likely closer in diameter to the 235 70 if that was original.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

okccadman

Here is my 1995 with 235s
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

Scot Minesinger

I drove my Fleetwood past 100mph on the highway once (hypothetically, because would never admit to breaking the law in writing).  It cruised at that speed no problem with lots of pedal left.  Top speed is likely similar to Impala SS, guessing 135mph or so.  That 260hp must be under rated, because my Dodge with 340hp hemi does not seem as fast at speeds under 50mph.

If they still made them, I would have bought another in 2006 when I bought my Dodge instead.  Is it too much to ask for an American rear drive V-8 powered sedan that seats 5 comfortably.  Come on Cadillac make that "S: class fighter.  All wheel drive is no good, it is inefficient and beneficial only in extreme weather conditions which is what my 4 wheel drive truck is for.

Guidematic

I have reliable information that the 9C1 Caprice with the LT1 and 3.08:1 gear can attain and maintain speeds approaching 150 MPH. This is an aerodynamically limited speed. The Caprice is a bit more aero than the Fleetwood. I have theorised a top speed in the 140 MPH range with the standard 2.93:1 gear.

I have to agree that some of these new power ratings are a bit optimistic. However the newer 5,6 and even 7 speed transmissions use any power rating to advantage because they keep the engine more in their power band. But another thing that comes to mind is the excessive weight of any of the newer cars. The Charger is a very heavy car, easily the same weight as the Fleetwood. And with the indicated 340HP, you would think it would be quicker.

Okcadman, that is a beautiful car. Love the chrome wheels. I have the standard wheels on mine, and the clearcoat needs to be redone. And the tires look very good. I'll have to research actual tire sizes when I go to replace mine. I have found there are variations from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Mike

Mike

okccadman

Thanks Guidematic.  I love these Fleetwoods.  Over the last 15 years, I lost a 94 with 400,000 plus miles and a 95 with 185,000 to careless drivers and my mom just totalled her 96 with 270,000 so I have yet to kill one mechanically.  They are big, safe, comfortable cars that happen to be fast and fun.  By the way, we found an extremely nice Carmine Red 94 with 70k for Mom.  After her wreck, she wanted one just like the old one because she walked away without injury after rear ending a truck in a rainstorm.   
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

Guidematic

It's a shame to see any of these cars wrecked, either from a collision or simply being driven into the ground. The drivelines have proven to be very reliable and durable, and are capable of going any distance.

Every once in awhile, the planets align, and a very good car is made. The '94-'96 Fleetwoods are such a car. A big roomy and extemely comfortable car that has the power to embarrass many other so called performance cars. And the icing on the cake is the excellent fuel economy.

Back in the fall of '93 a triple Dark Cherry Fleetwood Brougham came into the dealer. I fell in love with it. And finally many years later I found a nice example that was priced right. I love that car, and itn so many ways it's very similar to my 1970 Fleetwood. The space and the power, and that silky smooth ride.

I came to realise that I owned 2 of the fastest Fleetwoods ever made. One powered by the high compression 472, and the other by the excellent LT1.

Mike

Scot Minesinger

Mike,

I want to buy a 1970 Fleetwood.  Have three 1970 Cadillacs, restoring one completely.  Two are convertibles and one is a sedan.  maybe some day that 1970 Fleetwood will be in my garage.  Probably will not get a 1994-6 Fleetwood due to storage limitations.  Like I said enjoyed a wonderful 1995 Fleetwood for 254k miles,best daily driver ever.  Does not look like anything is coming over the horizon in the new car arena that will be any better either.

Enjoy your powerful Fleetwood,

Scot

okccadman

Here is one of my favorite photos.  This is my Calypso Green 95 (120k), my mom's new Carmine Red 94 (70k) and my friends Dark Adriatic Blue 96 (60k).  My friend is using HDR photography and this was one of his first experiments.  Looks like a Cadillac advertisement to me.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

R Schroeder

A nice black one came up for sale at a dealer near me. 50,000 miles .
Seems to be a bit high on price , compared to others for sale in the area.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ctd/3327153831.html

Guidematic

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on November 14, 2012, 10:32:38 PM
Mike,

I want to buy a 1970 Fleetwood.  Have three 1970 Cadillacs, restoring one completely.  Two are convertibles and one is a sedan.  maybe some day that 1970 Fleetwood will be in my garage.  Probably will not get a 1994-6 Fleetwood due to storage limitations.  Like I said enjoyed a wonderful 1995 Fleetwood for 254k miles,best daily driver ever.  Does not look like anything is coming over the horizon in the new car arena that will be any better either.

Enjoy your powerful Fleetwood,

Scot

Scot,

If I had the room, I would certainly have others. Right now I have to be quite creative with parking and storage. I think 1970 was one of the high water marks for Cadillac. Although I do like the 1971-76 cars, the less powerful engines, the lesser detailing and of coarse they lack those wonderful big seats of the 1969-70 cars.

The Fleetwood to me is the Cadillac of Cadillacs. That's why I favour them so much. The interiors often border on decadent, the extended wheelbase offers incredible rear seat room, and they have styling features that are unique to the series. These features are not always found in Fleetwood sedans over the years, but they are abundant on the 1970.

Having 3 1970's to choose from is nice. The convertibles, the last of the RWD version, are beautiful. I have always wanted a convertible over the years. Maybe one day I'll have one.

Mike