News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Eldo rh remote mirror fix ??

Started by xcaret, October 31, 2012, 05:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcaret

My 78 Eldorado right door mirror is remote controlled manually by a cable . Something is stripped and the mirror moves a little but not in any position that is usefull, nor will it remain where I position it.
Has anyone found a cure for this? I am considering a can of spray foam insulation ,it hardens to a substance like styrofoam but harder to break.It goes out of the can and swells up about 5 times its volume , a bit like shaving cream.
At least the mirror would be in one position .
Any helpful trick will be appreciated.
Neil

TJ Hopland

This came up recently and someone had the same idea.   That spray foam stuff is messy and almost impossible to completely remove so I would think that would be a poor choice not to mention it would be difficult to get the mirror into the proper position with the expansion thing happening.   My thought would be to use silicone.  Either a gasket type or maybe a home type caulk.   You could put a blob at each corner and it should hold the mirror in position.   It may still leave some residue but would be a lot easier to remove or change than the foam. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Neil,
At the risk of being patronizing, did you pull the upper door panel and verify all the screws were tight.  When the two screws holding the assembly to the door (and)/or the screws holding the mirror head become loose, it puts slack in the cable resulting in symptoms as you mentioned.
I would check this first.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

More things to check would be the Allen set screw on the dash lever, also there is a retaining clip for the cable on the door itself.  If the cable is not in this retaining tab it could have too much slack and will not provide tension to the mirror head.

These mirrors do not usually wear out like that unless something is missing or broken.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

These mirrors don't have a single cable working them but three.

I would be checking the whole thing to see if any of the cables are broken, or one of the ends could have become dislodged.  But, an end coming off is unlikely as there is a fair amount of spring pressure holding them in place.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

xcaret

Thanks for all the great advise ,I'll see about removeng the door panel ( shudder)

mgbeda

Removing the door panel isn't hard, but be sure to get the right tool for pulling out the plastic clips on the bottom panel.  I used to use two screwdriver; with the real tool it's 10x easier, and less chance of damaging the panel or clip too.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

76eldo

Just remove the upper door panel. That's all you need to remove to get to the mirror cable and bolts.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

mgbeda

Good point, 76eldo.  And the upper panel is held in with genuine screws; no silly plastic clips to worry about.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610

TJ Hopland

The hardest part can be removing the now brittle wood grain plastic covers from the pull handle to access those screws.  Im trying to remember, I am thinking there is one screw in the chrome strip above the armrest.  You remove that screw and then the chrome slides and unhooks so it can be removed.   The screws that hold the bottom of the panel are then accessible through the slots.   You then unscrew the lock knob and sort of wiggle and lift up, the top just hooks around the top of the door.  Im also trying to remember if its easier with the window down.    Its been a while since I did these old 2 piece doors. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

mgbeda

The 75s through 78s didn't have the vinyl pull strap, so no woodgrain covers to worry about.  You've got it right about the chrome strip and the screws behind it.  And it is easier with the window down.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610

TJ Hopland

They had the plastic handle thing instead of the straps?    Just lift up the handle and screws are under there?    I have not seen my 75 in a while. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

76eldo

Lift the door pull, two screws.  Chrome surround for the inside door release, two screws.  Door lock plastic thing unscrews, window down, lift up.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

xcaret

Thanks, I'll just pull that top panel off tomorrow.