News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How to remove and clean "strainers" on rocker arm covers

Started by joeinbcs, November 01, 2012, 04:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

I'm still getting to know my car, a '67 Eldorado, and want to clean the rocker arm strainers when I change the oil, in accordance with the maintenance manual instructions.
But...I can't figure out how to remove them and take them apart to clean the elements.
Can anybody tell me how this is done before I break something?
Thanks!  Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Joe,
What "strainers" are you talking about?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

joeinbcs

Here's a pic...its the round black near the rear of the rocker arm cover. 
There's one on the passenger side near the front of the cover.
The maintenance manual calls them strainers, and says they should be cleaned with solvent and re-oiled whenever the oil is changed.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

joeinbcs

And, while I'm at it...another question for you'all...
I just realized that the bolt that secures the transmission lines near the front of the block is missing.
Anybody know what size this should be?
I guess it would be the same on all 429's?
Thanks!~
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

The Tassie Devil(le)

That round black thing is what is commonly called a Breather.

But, I believe that there is something missing from the top of it, as in a piece of hose that is a part of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation System, and the other end goes into the Air Cleaner.

These usually push in and are retained by a rubber ring that is retained in the Rocker Cover.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

joeinbcs

Bruce,
Thanks for your interest.
The PVC Valve is on the passenger side, where there is a hose.
There is no hose to the "breather" or "strainer" unless the car was made for the California market...according to my repair manual.
What I need to know is how to remove these?  And, once removed, how to take them apart and clean them with solution and re-oil as the manual advises.
I've twisted them, turned them and pulled on them.  I don't want to break them.  I was hoping that someone had been here before me!
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Joe,

The PCV system has the PCV Valve on one side, that attaches to the base of the Carby, to suck through the air from the Sump, and on the other side is the filtered air that comes from the Air Cleaner to replenish the air that was sucked out.

By not having the other hose in place, the engine is getting dirty air directly into the crankcase.   This is BAD.

These caps just pull straight out.    There may be some twisting involved, but only to assist in getting it out.

These caps are not designed to be taken apart.   Just washed out.   They are crimped together, and trying to open them up will destroy them.

If one doesn't have the PCV, then the only other way of getting the contaminants (blow-by) out of the crankcase is to use the Draught Tube, and these have been banned since PCV came into being.   If you have the PCV Valve in one side, then you WILL have the air breather tube in the other side.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dave Shepherd

Twist and pull up, it is just held by a rubber grommet in the valve cover, soak it in kerosene to clean the screen, Bruce, sorry basically repeating your advice.

joeinbcs

Hi Bruce,
Thanks again for your interest.
My goal is to be able to fix my car and to make sure that nothing I say leads a novice like me in the wrong direction.
Figure 0-11 in the maintenance manual depicts the exact system I have in my car.  This system does not have a tube from the driver side "strainer" or "breather" to the carburetor.   This is termed an "Open" system in the maintenance manual.  The "closed" system does have such a hose, but the manual indicates that this is only for cars built for the California market.
Thanks again, best, Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

Glen

Joe is correct as can be seen in the picture below. 

Joe, the rubber in the grommet gets hard with the heat in the engine compartment and age.  The only way to get it off is to force it.  It should come off before you start bending the metal.  You can try oiling it to see if that helps. 

Then think about finding a new grommet. 

Once the breather is off I think all you need to do is wash it in a solvent like kerosene by submerging it.  Then after drying it spray some oil inside. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Glen

Thanks for that diagram.

This is the first time I have ever seen something like that, as they always had the hose to the Air Cleaner, to supply clean, filtered air to the crankcase.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe