News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

High RPM shift from second to third gear in Jetaway

Started by Matt Innocenzi, November 03, 2012, 01:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Innocenzi

Hello all:

I brought my 1962 Cadillac Fleetwood on a test drive today now that I finally have the fenders and hood on it.  It has a very high RPM in second gear before it finally shifts into third gear.  It was a little low on transmission fluid, so I added some, but it did not help very much.

My 1958 Cadillac also has the Jetaway transmission and it has a similar shift from second to third.  This transmission was rebuilt and always had it, I just learned that is the way it is.  The '58 does not get as high of an RPM, but certainly a higher RPM between 2 and 3 than between any other gears.

If my memory and knowledge of these old transmissions is correct, the shift between 2 and 3 is done between the driving and driven torus assembly. 

Is a high RPM between 2 and 3 normal?  If not, can any adjustment be made to lower the RPMs between gears 2 and 3?

Thanks for any help,
Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

quadfins

No vacuum control on a '62, but the TV rod to the throttle adjusts, and can make a big difference. Do you have a shop manual?

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Dave Shepherd

Quote from: quadfins on November 03, 2012, 02:59:17 PM
No vacuum control on a '62, but the TV rod to the throttle adjusts, and can make a big difference. Do you have a shop manual?  Correct, no vacuum controls, as mentioned the tv adjustment is very critical, assuming the units are in good shape

Jim

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Matt,

Shorten the TV rod running from the carburetor to the trans. Adjust it in increments testing driving in between. The shop manual contains the factory spec speed range for each shift……Seat of the pants won’t be far off.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Matt Innocenzi

Lee, there is no vacuum control on the Jetaway, but I know exactly what you mean.  I had that problem with a TH350 transmission one time before though.

Jim, Dave, and Ralph - thank you for the tip.  I have a shop manual for it and I will certainly check that out.  Just to clarify, this is the rod that kicks down one gear (i.e. passing gear) correct?  I did notice the car kicks into passing gear relatively easily so hopefully this is the problem.

Ralph, is all ok in your neck of the woods?  I know NJ took quite a punch and I am hoping you are safe and sound.

Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Matt,

Thanks for asking. From my post on General Disscussion Board.........

Guys,

I’m in Central NJ. We had very little rain but as Kevin said the winds were brutal. The area was full of large old hardwood trees typically 70+ years old and they were devastated tipping over at the roots taking power lines with them.. No house damage in my immediate area and all souls safely accounted for.  It will be a long haul to clear the roads and rebuild the power grid.

My prayers go out to those who lost everything. Hopefully they’ve gotten to safety and shelter.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

David King (kz78hy)

Checkout the manual.  On the '58, you have to stick a .25" drill bit into a hole on the accelerator linkage and then adjust the TV rod on the carburetor and that should get you very close.  I have never worked on a '62, so I don't know the accelerator linkage was carry-overed in those years. 

In the '57/58 books, there is a shift chart to let you know what speeds the shifts are supposed to happen at a given situation.

That TV rod seems very sensitive for adjustment, so a little extermination might be needed.

My best guess.

David

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Dan LeBlanc

Same 1/4" bit into the linkage on the 62 as well.

What you need to do is:

Stick a 1/4" drill bit into the hole on the linkage at the firewall.
Loosen both nuts on the TV rod
Push the TV rod toward the back of the car
Tighten the front nut until it makes contact with the linkage on the carburetor
Tighten 3 full turns after it makes contact
Tighten the rear nut and road test.

This should put you within about 1/4 turn of where you need to be.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

dplotkin

As one who has sorted out a problematic 56 Hydra-Matic I feel comfortable telling you as our friend above has, that you must perform the throttle rod adjustment by the factory shop manual specs before you do anything else except verifying you have enough of the correct fluid in the transmission. This assumes you have the coreect carburettor linkage which is moving the throttle rod in the correct way. (I have seen guys swap carbs and using aftermarket replacements or a similar carb for a different car with a throttle arm that has the wrong throw).

If after the above the problem remains, you likely have an internal issue, I would suspect the trouble in the valve body-internal leaks, and so on.

This transmission fills the front coupling on the shift from 1st to 2nd, dumps the coupling and uses friction members for the shift from 2nd to 3rd, and fills the coupling on the shift from 3rd to 4th. The 2nd to 3rd shift can take a little longer and be a tad rougher when cold than when hot. If you need a referal and are on the east coast, let me know as there is a man in Boston who knows these boxes as well as anyone and can fix it.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Dave Shepherd

As the trans ages the tv rod can be adjusted slighlty to give a firmer shift feel, the shop manual set up is good starting point, then as mentioned shortening it a bit usually improves shift response.