News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Goodbye Old Friend....

Started by Caddyjack, November 04, 2012, 03:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyjack

Well, a dump truck almost killed me. Thank God for the aircraft-carrier sized front end of this beast. Airbags? Who needs 'em when you have as much protection as this. Now, it's on to another classic Cadillac. I like the '76 Eldorados, so maybe I'll find another one soon.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

R Schroeder

Wow, I'm glad your OK. That is some hit. Good thing you weren't in a small car.
Roy

62droptop

glad you were able to walk away from that one

cars can always be fixed or relpaced unllike people

now a good parts car for your next one

76eldo

Jack,

I'm so sorry to see that mangled mess.  Glad you are OK.  Such a shame.

I might have a few leads on cars for you when you are ready.  I am in your area, in Huntingdon Valley, PA.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Caddyjack

Thanks, guys. It was horrendous. I was slammed into by a dump truck that ran a light while I was doing 45mph. I did suffer some severe cuts to my chin and lower lip, thanks to the lack of a shoulder harness and that steel steering wheel wrapped in plastic. Had to spend a few hours in the hospital, but no overnight stay. Ouch. But, I made it, could have been killed....now, time to move on.

Brian....that's awesome to hear. I really hope to get another one of these. They are special, as you know, being an owner as well.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

The Tassie Devil(le)

Hi Jack,

Boy, you are one lucky fella.

Sorry to see the car in such a way, but at least you were wearing your seat belt, which stopped you from receiving worse injuries.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

C.R. Patton II

Hello Jack

Wonderful that you were able to walk away.

How about moving up to a better vehicle....a LaSalle?
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

...or a nice black car? lol!

Kidding aside, you were very fortunate and I'm extremely glad for you it wasn't worse.

Now for the poor Caddy's last rites: Ashes to ashes, rust to rust...
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

waterzap

40 years after car was designed, it behaved exactly as it should in a crash. Absorbing the impact and saving the driver. 45mph is a LOT of energy that has to be dissipated.
I don't think they even thought that car would still be around when they built it. Pretty good.
Leesburg, AL

Walter Youshock

That's a miracle.  You are very fortunate.  That is one of my biggest fears of driving the old cars. 

What a shame about the car but, thankfully, YOU are ok.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Gene Beaird

I feel your pain. 

We're considering another daily driver for my wife.  I've been considering putting together some solid early-to-mid 70's car for her.  Big car, nice performance, power windows and A/C that's dependable would be perfect for her needs.  Then I see things like this, and am reminded that I'd probably have to kill someone if they wrecked the car.  Some days I can deal with it, other days, I think about how rare these cars are getting. 

Running a stop light is inexcusable.  I'm sure the guy had no license and no insurance.  At least that's the way it goes around here. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

C.R. Patton II

Hello Gene

Fantastic to hear that you are considering purchasing another Cadillac. The seventies automobiles were strong, highly optioned, durable vehicles evidenced by the photograph above.

Correct me if I am wrong but the tenor of your post indicated that you would do great harm to the culprit of the destruction of your car, but no mention of concern about your spouse?

I thought only LaSalle owners felt that way.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Gene Beaird

Since it would be her DD, _she'd_ probably be doing the damage to the other driver!!! ;D

No, we're best friends.  If she was hurt, I'd be devastated.  Luckily, she's a pretty safe driver, and kind of a gearhead, like me. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Caddyjack

Such kind and positive replies! Thanks, everyone. I have decided I am not patient enough for the insurance check, and went ahead and took a leap of faith on another '76 Eldorado convertible. I'll give you some details in the coming days, for those who are interested. I guess I'm addicted. This must mean I'll have to become a full-fledged member.

Jack Larson
Devon, PA
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

76eldo

Jack,

A wise move.  Out of all the cars I own, and have owned, my black 76 Eldorado convertible is my favorite car.  It runs great, but if it ever need some engine work I would do a custom rebuild with all of the 1970 (400 HP) internals which would give the car a lot more power.

Other than that, when I am driving this car, top down, 8 track groovin', I am a happy man.

Keep in touch.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

waterzap

Just curious. How much ballpark would a rebuild to 400hp be about?
Leesburg, AL

76eldo

Ballpark, about $4000.00 to do the bottom end totally, plus finding the right cam and heads.  About...

The modified chapter guys would know for sure.

My car runs like a Rolex and you can't feel it idle, so I don't see this happening anytime soon, but you never know.

You could drop a 500 directly into a 1980 with the 368 too...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Gene Beaird

Quote from: waterzap on November 06, 2012, 04:14:42 PM
Just curious. How much ballpark would a rebuild to 400hp be about?

A 68-70 472 with a mild cam should get you there easily.  Mild head port, intake and headers, with a decent exhaust should get you closer to 400 HP at the wheels.  That's about 1 hp/cu. in. at the flywheel.  W0ot!

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

joecaristo

Jack,
Glad to hear that the long hood protected you. As a 76 Eldo owner myself thats good to know.
I guess new cars really need all those airbags because there're made of plastic and are designed to fall apart. If your considering parting out that car let me know. The car could live on in others.
Stay safe and healthy,
Joe
Joe Caristo

caddyfinatic

glad you are well...sad to see a Cadillac die such a tragic death but as a parts donor it will help others live on and it passed with honor giving all it had to protect its owner..you should play taps..no Nissan or other modern jap/crap would do that..
mike

1959 CoupeDeVille
2004 Deville