News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Eldorado NO HEADLIGHTS

Started by 60eldo, November 04, 2012, 05:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I have no headlights in my car, I have rear lights but no headlights,,,,Could it be the dimmer switch????? >:D
Jon. Klu

76eldo

That's a good start. My lights on my 76 sometimes don't come on. When I switch from high to low a few times they come on.

Let us know.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dave Shepherd

Get a test lite on the dimmer switch, look for current in and then out, basic diagnostics.

60eldo

Didnt even think of that,,,thanks,,I will test it now
Jon. Klu

60eldo

OK I checked for power to dimmer switch,,,,Nothing,,I followed the wire from the dimer switch and it goes up into the left kick panel then I cant see where it goes,,,looks like it goes into the upper Left fender by the door
Jon. Klu

62droptop

do you have the guideamatic auto dimmer also??

60eldo

Jon. Klu

60eldo

yes it has it,,,is that the box i see in the left kick panel?
Jon. Klu

60eldo

heres the car,,,hope to drive it someday,,,,,,,,,,, :'(
Jon. Klu

R Schroeder

Wow, it looks like you have a few problems there.
Roy

62droptop

first thing to check is the switch
check to see if it is actually working by testing for power right out of the plug when in the headlight position
start at the source and work from there ,otherwise drive your self crazy

Guidematic

Oooo! Looks like there may be other ghosts lurking about in there. Do yourself a favour and get some good schematics. Proper diagnostics depends on the proper materials and know how.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

60eldo

I have the manual 1959 and 60 but its hard when everything is black and white,,I just bought wirring diagram in color, laminated, its great, but I think they still leave alot out. I think when Im done with this wirring project,  I will be quaified to make my own diagram in color and maybe write a book,,,hahahaha
Jon. Klu

linchero

same problem with my 60 seville. took out the dimmer and diconnected the high beam wire and done.

60eldo

No,,,I really need to get some headlights here,,Does anyone know where that wire goes from the dimmer switch to the left fender? Goes through the L kick panel then disappears
Jon. Klu

60eldo

Ok WOW  today I figured out and plugged in some more wires and I now have headlights,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,after about 10 seconds I hear a small CLICK near the fuse box and lights go out,,,,I wait about 30 seconds turn lights on again and they stay on for a few seconds and go out....WHY
Jon. Klu

76eldo

You have a short or very high resistance in the wiring and the circuit breaker is opening the circuit.  DO NOT try to eliminate the breaker because your car will burn up.

Trace the wiring, start looking for broken insulation, any parts of the wire that may be touching metal or shorted together.

You may want to do a harness in the car if you have a lot of cut, spliced, or brittle wires.  Patch jobs never work out well unless you can cut back to a solid section of wire, put in a section of the same gauge, and solder and shrinkwrap all connections.  Butt connectors, electrical tape, it all turns to crap after a while.

brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

60eldo

Thanks Brian,,,this is a love hate relationship,,,I will figure out this mess
Jon. Klu

60eldo

Jon. Klu

Brian Daum

What kind of headlight bulbs do you have?

The headlight switch circuit breaker was designed for sealed beam. Sometimes when aftermarket halogen bulbs are installed they draw too much current, which causes the CB to engage.

Try switching back to sealed beams..
1956 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1959 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1998 Cadillac DeVille d`Elegance