News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1952 331 rocker arm oiling

Started by WrightsRepair, November 06, 2012, 08:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WrightsRepair

Can someone explain how the 331 oils the rocker shaft?

Eldovert

Dennis,
The oil comes up through the same holes that the four large bolts (that hold the rocker assembly) go through. The holes are slightly oversize allowing the oil to come up past the bolt and fill  the rocker arm shaft. The rocker arm shafts can be filled with crap in these older engines. If that is the case, you have to take them off and remove the end caps which are 5/8 cupped plugs and clean them out.
HTH
Pat MacPhail

jst

Years ago I overhauled my original 53 Cadillac 331. After it was put back together and running, it developed a tapping noise. I found that a had put the rocker posts in the wrong position after dressing the rocker arms. So beware. The oil only comes up at one bolt hole and must have the correct post in that position.
Joe T
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68
1953 Cadillac series 62 COUPE

Jay Friedman

On each cylinder head of the 1949 331 engine the oil for the rocker arms comes up only one of the four cylinder head bolts that also hold on the rocker arm assembly.  On the driver's side, it is the front most bolt and on the passenger's side it is the rear most bolt.  Don't know about 'the '52 engine but I suspect it is the same as mentioned by Joe T.  There is a diagram showing this in "Engine Mechanical" section of the '49 shop manual and the '52 manual may also have this diagram.

When I take apart a rocker arm assembly(ies), I usually do them one at a time and keep the other one assembled to use as a guide to re-assemble the one taken apart.  I've re-assembled them wrong more than once!   

Another important point that is stressed in the shop manual is to make sure the notches or locating marks at both ends of the rocker arm shafts are pointing toward the middle of the motor when the rocker arm assemblies are installed on the cylinder head.  Otherwise the oil won't flow correctly.  There is a picture showing this in '49 shop manual which may also be in the '52 manual.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."