News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Non-members posting on this board

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, November 07, 2012, 12:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

It really amazing me as to the number of non-members discussing:
Club policies
Judging rules
Blue bolts
Selling parts.
Modified car classes
And other topics.
And in somes cases getting pretty vocal about it.

I'm not talking about the occasional poster that comes & goes. I'm talking about some posters with 100's or in some cases over 1000 posts. In somes cases over many years.
So... if you guys are so interested in what's happening here & getting the benefit of this board, why don't you JOIN THE CLUB!
Your opinion would certainly have more credence to me & I'm sure many others.
Signed with my real name & C&LC #
Bob Hoffmann CLC#96
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Dan LeBlanc

I've finally decided to join, but, alas, it's been over a month since I signed up and I still haven't been charged for membership dues or been assigned my #
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

66 Eldo

You too. I didn't see this post and posted the same concern on the general discussion board. Been over a month for me.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
Welcome to the club. I'm sorrry to hear about the delays. Maybe someone who can help will see your posts.
I don't know who to contact.
Bob

Renato

I'm living in Europe and it is not possible to visit a club meeting etc... just asking, and buying from here. I know many things from mechanical things, but hard to write it down in English many specific words...
R. Bognar

pauldridge

Hmmm

So sounds like someone wants this forum to be EXclusive, rather than INclusive? 

I may or may not be a dues paying member at this point, I've received mags in the past but not now.  For me personally I find little value in the magazine so haven't been proactive about formally renewing my membership. 

As far as the forum, I suppose I've assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that these forums support themselves (check out the paid ad on this page) and are staffed by volunteers (As a volunteer webmaster/'moderator  myself for 5 different organizations, I know that hosting or managing one of these forums is hardly a full time job).  If in fact there is some significant expense involved in this (I can't imagine how) and that expense is covered by Club dues, then I'd cheerfully pony up for my access to the forum.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty confident I've contributed as much useful content to this forum (how to do articles, experienced responses to mechanical issues others are having, etc) as I've taken from it. And, when another forum user posts useful technical information on the board, I can tell you the very last thing I'm concerned with is whether or not they are a full-fledged club member.  I fail to see any connection between membership and a contributor's technical bona fides!

Is it the monetary thing, or just the us-against-them idea of protecting an old-farts club from newcomers?  If we follow this line of thought, perhaps women should be banned from the forum, since they couldn't possibly interested in crawling under a car?

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but for me, these forums exist primarily to foster interest both in classic Cadillacs, car collecting in general, and to share knowledge about maintaining our cars.  I don't see how discouraging "outsiders" from participating serves that purpose.

If the majority feel otherwise, then perhaps the forum should be restricted to club dues-paying members.  Since that hasn't happened, I can only assume that most people see value in having this forum appeal to (and receive input from) the widest possible audience.

Just my opinion
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

Doug Houston

Nobody's holding a gun to anyone's head, HOWEVER, there are instances where a lurker (I call them "Schnorer) makes some offensive remarks to paying members. Exactly that happened to me a few years ago, and while I hadn't been aware that he wasn't a member of the club, I was asked if he should be kicked off the board. I said that he should, and he was. He was a pretty arrogant pup, too. Good riddance. It an happen to you.

Ho long have I had membership? Since August, 1959. 
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Guidematic

Quote from: Doug Houston on November 08, 2012, 09:02:51 PM
How long have I had membership? Since August, 1959.

I gathered that since you have a very low membership number.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Reply to Phil,
If you're saying that I want the board to be EXclusive, you're mistaken. I beg to differ with you on several points in your reply.
I never said anything about monetary issues.
It's a fact that the age level in all long established clubs is rising. So... are we all old old farts? Have you figured out a way to stop the clock?
I didn't say anything or infer that it was us versus them.
I would like to point out that I have a modified car. The last GN I attended was Las Vegas. They did have a modified class.  My car was NOT judged & I didn't expect that it would be.
I'l try to further clarify my original post. The fact that non-members with modified cars are trying to FORCE the club to accept them in regular judging classes. And to change the rules to make this happen. WHY do they want to be judged that way? Are they that desparate for a trophy? I'll refer you & others to the topic on blue bolts. Especially to Brians response #39. In fact, there's a lot of good information  in the last 10 or so responses.
Bob

Dan LeBlanc

Here's a thought. Maybe the non-members are trying to change the rules to he transform the club into one they want to join. One thing is constant in life and that is change. Why we resist it is merely human nature. Perhaps change would be good and attract new members.

I joined at Hershey, I've got some ideas that I would like to see happen so that's part of the reason I joined. To being something fresh to the table, and as a member, I have a say. I'm a doer, and hopefully my suggestions won't fall on deaf ears and people may say that this young guy really does have something to contribute.
Dan LeBlanc

76eldo

Phil,

Are you for real?  $35.00 a year?  Not only do you get the Self Starter, you get access to free ads, see what's going on in the club, and you are supporting a club that services the membership and provides this forum.

Bob brings up a valid point.  If you are on this message board and post and ask questions and provide answers, you are welcome.  If you are not a member of the CLC and are questioning club policies and judging methods and inclusion or exclusion of anything, that's not right.  Calling a long time member an old  fart is rude and disrespectful.

Rule of thumb, don't type anything you wouldn't say in person, face to face.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

C.R. Patton II

Ladies and Gentleman

Very good responses to an interesting topic.

He hit a lot of homeruns, and he was flashy but I would never trade Babe Ruth for Doug Houston. His wisdom makes him the all-time KING!

Personally I welcome visitors, nonmembers and knowledge seekers to our forum because that is one of the avenues to new membership. I also respect those that decline to join. I appreciate the creativity of the modifies but I am a purists that enjoys preserving the brand.

We can find a commonplace to enjoy our LaSalles and Cadillacs.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

R Schroeder

I wouldn't trade Doug for The Babe either. The Babe is gone, and cant help us at all.........ha

Opinions are like congressmen. Everyone has one , but don't expect any change.  I'm old enough to know that much.

Powers higher than us will set up who can post here.
I have helped many people out that were in the club, and out of the club. They have helped me too.
Ideals are better than arguments. Right ?

Let those who want to show there car , show there car. I have a very low mileage car, but will never show it in the Nationals. That's my choice. I perfer to drive it, and swap spit with friends of mine who are interested in it. I would rather spend a Sunday afternoon working on it than showing it.
Yes , it has the blue bolts, and original finish on them........ha

Actually there are very few people that post on this site. Many of you are the same guys who always post, so new guys would help out , if they wanted to post.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Roy

76eldo

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of new blood on the board and in the club.

Bob started the thread here mentioning that there are non members commenting on member policies and judging.  Discussion is fine but don't try to change club policies if you are not a member, and calling a long standing member an old  doesn't seem right.

I'm expressing an opinion, that's all.

Brian

PS   For some reason the word F A R T  keeps disappearing from my posts.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

R Schroeder

I agree with that.

Join if you want change.

Dan LeBlanc

That's exactly what I did. The club has been around for along time and with a bit of change and some new ideas it will keep on being around for awhile. Newer generations expect different things from a club and changing to meet those needs is not a terrible thing. It's a matter of survival. Without new members to join the fold, the club would surely flounder as people make their exit for whatever reason.

It's the same reason that companies fail. When you ask people in a failing or failed company why they do things, the typical response is that's always the way they did things. It is those companies that are dynamic and meet the needs of their supporters that flourish and never cease to exist.

Just one member's opinion.
Dan LeBlanc

Chris Conklin

Quote from: 76eldo on November 09, 2012, 12:42:40 PM
PS   For some reason the word F A R T  keeps disappearing from my posts.

They can dissipate rather quickly!  ;)
Chris Conklin

Guidematic

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on November 09, 2012, 02:01:21 PM

It's the same reason that companies fail. When you ask people in a failing or failed company why they do things, the typical response is that's always the way they did things. It is those companies that are dynamic and meet the needs of their supporters that flourish and never cease to exist.

Just one member's opinion.

It's called complacency.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

62droptop

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on November 09, 2012, 07:54:25 AM
Here's a thought. Maybe the non-members are trying to change the rules to he transform the club into one they want to join. One thing is constant in life and that is change. Why we resist it is merely human nature. Perhaps change would be good and attract new members.

I joined at Hershey, I've got some ideas that I would like to see happen so that's part of the reason I joined. To being something fresh to the table, and as a member, I have a say. I'm a doer, and hopefully my suggestions won't fall on deaf ears and people may say that this young guy really does have something to contribute.

once again Dan hits a home run

i am not trying to force any change, just some friendly suggestions on how to perhaps make this club a better, more attractive place for members but a mere 2 or 3 decades old

i restore cars , and enjoy helping others

i hang around hoping for change so i can join a club i am proud to be a member of

if i am not allowed to post anymore so be it
this is the only forum i have ever seen that has a manditory use of names when posting
that is something i have an issue with as privacy is hard to find these days
one small innocent slip by a poster and a hacker/theif is off and running and   has a field day with stolen information
anyone heard of of a new thing called identity theft
had a minor issue with it and was a pain to clear up

but alas i am not a member ,just like a hemmoroid,,just an unwelcome guest i guess

Dan LeBlanc

I've met 62droptop and have known him since 2006.  One of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys you'd ever want to meet.  To banish someone like him from here would be doing the club a great injustice.

Just recently, I've seen him working his magic changing a heater core in a 62 Fleetwood.  He had himself contorted in positions I couldn't imagine to get it done.  Did it for a mutual friend, no charge.

It's guys like this our club needs.
Dan LeBlanc