News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 - 1979 POWER MIRRORS and AUTO DOOR LOCK Rare options on these cars ?

Started by R Schroeder, November 16, 2012, 06:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g27g28

I just looked through my 79 brouchure.  It says the power mirrrors are a new option for 79.  Devilles came with only the drivers side rear view mirror standard.  I have seen one car that didn't have the passenger side mirror.  No mention of the auto door locks in the Deville/Fleetwood section but they are in the Seville and Eldo option lists.  So I guess it is pretty rare as it isn't even in the brouchure. 
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

planetcadillac

I have never seen power seat belt retractors on any car of that age. I have hardly even seen them on a car period except for a few instanced in the early 90s before airbags were standardized. I wonder how much of this was listed on the build plate. Everything should be listed on the invoice/window sticker.
Craig Seman #17308

R Schroeder

Yep, wiring diagram for my car shows power retractors / buzzers ?
It seems that there are two. One for the belt, and one for the shoulder harness. I'll take a picture of the area, and post it.
Never seen an option code for the belts , like that.
Roy

R Schroeder

This is the wiring diagram for the power seat belt retractors. Both top and bottom retract.

Maybe they are buzzers or something. An  electrical guy can figure out those symbols.

Also I took a picture of that fuel monitoring light system. Cadillac probably charged an arm and a leg for that option and it is really simple.
Two bulbs, two wires. Both are ground wires for the bulbs. White and yellow wires. White is for green light and yellow for the yellow light.
Then you need one vacuum switch. Normally closed , for the green. Moves to other contact under vacuum. Wow, how simple can you get. Maybe the wiring harness is even in the car. All Caddy did was to put in the bulbs and hook up the vacuum solenoid. Maybe the bulbs are already in there.........ha

planetcadillac

I think those are the seat belt retractor solenoids which are not electric seat belt motors. I  have never had a call on them but likely they activate the buzzers chimes and the inertia switch.
Craig Seman #17308

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Roy, I'm pretty sure the wiring in the seat retractors is part of the "Fasten Seatbelts" warning system. I'm fairly certain that the seat belt reminder buzzer/chime system was designed to sound only when front seatbelts are not fastened during the starting cycle. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

R Schroeder

I believe you guys are right. They look like relays more than motors.
Roy

The Tassie Devil(le)

Plus, isn't there a sensor pad in the seat base that detects that a passenger is sitting there, and the circuit is completed by the connecting of the seat belt buckle to the catch, which in turn turns off the warning light?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

R Schroeder

Bruce, I did read something about that pad. I'll have to see if there is something on the wiring diagram tomorrow. Didn't see it when I looked today, but I wasn't really looking for it either.
Roy

R Schroeder

Ok. I did not find anything in the wiring diagram for the seat pad sensor in the seat, so I assume there is no such thing for this year and model. 77 does show one, but not on the wiring diagram. I believe Eric told me it was in earlier models.
  I also found nothing in the wiring diagram about the power trunk pull down, or the button in the glove box to open it.
Maybe because it is an accessory , they don't show it.
I did find in the diagram, wiring for a switch that blocks power window use. BLOCK OUT SWITCH.
I don't have this option in my car.
Ok. I knew I wasn't going nuts when I saw the words ELECTRIC RETRACTOR on the diagram.
It has this written for the wire that feeds the rear cigar lighter. I mixed this up in my head the other day, with the front seat belts.
Words on print say; WIRE TO  REAR CIGAR LIGHTER AND ELECTRIC RETRACTOR.
So, I'm at a loss as to what retracts....ha
This wiring diagram is for my coupe.
Roy

Sort of got off the path here about mirrors and auto-locks.