News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Huh, did the factory forget to install some options? (ebay misleading)

Started by Bryan Thompson, November 10, 2012, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

936CD69

Hmmm, appears to be the rare d'elegance with base leather trim! quite rare, indeed!
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

cadillactim

Tim Groves

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

DeVille d'Elegance was only offered with cloth interior, 1974-1984. On DeVilles so equipped, "d'Elegance" script would appear either on dash wood applique ('74-'76) or glove box door ('77-'84). Also, d'Elegance script appeared on the lower part of C-pillars.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Davidinhartford

He probably read in the brochure that the d'elegance had the stand up hood ornament and pin striping.

But you all are correct that it is not a d'Elegance.    In addition to what Eric mentioned,  the d'Elegance also had thicker carpet on the floors and door bottoms, wider chrome trim on the lower interior door panels.   No flush mounted hood ornament, just the stand up type in 76.   Oh, and no bench seat.  The d'elegance came with the 50-50 split in cloth of course.

In addition, body side moulding was slightly different design on DeVille d'Elegance from 1977-1979. Instead of all stainless steel, the moulding d'Elegances used had vinyl insert color-keyed to vinyl roof. Same moulding was standard on Fleetwood Brougham (77-79)

jagbuxx #12944

Here are a couple of shots of my '76 de'Elegance.....
'75 and 76 also had the vinyl insert for the side molding keyed to the vinyl top color. My car, not having a vinyl top, the molding insert is black.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Learned something new today. Only saw one d'Elegance without vinyl roof- a '78 and I believe the moulding was color keyed to body color IIRC. I wonder how they did it on a two-tone '79 without vinyl roof...

936CD69

Like this....just imagine the cabriolet roof isn't there. On two tone cars the vinyl roof, if ordered, had to match the upper color.
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

That's the way I would've supposed they did it. In 1980, I believe they began color-keying the moulding insert to the lower body color in all cases, which I always thought looked better. On the '77-'79 Fleetwood Brougham, I'm fairly certain the vinyl insert was only color-keyed to the lower color, regardless of the upper color- can't say for sure- must be age. lol

936CD69

According to the 77 and 80 Data Books, you are............. correct as usual Eric! I'd expect Roy to chime in any time saying the only two-tone you'd like would be Sable Black over Sable Black!

Back to the original post, you can almost always tell if the seller knows nothing about the car when they create the listing. I've seen lots of 85-92 broughams listed as deVilles or Fleetwoods. The ad copy then continues to list multiple mistakes!
CLCMRC Benefactor #302