News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How to Store the Jack in my '67 Eldorado?

Started by joeinbcs, November 09, 2012, 03:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure out how the jack is supposed to be stored in my '67 Eldorado....but, that's the sad fact.
I took the car in for some new tires and when I turned my head one of the guys was taking it apart.  Its never been apart before, and I can see where the tools are supposed to go.  But, I can seem to figure out how to put it together.
There's a hook behind the tire, but because of the bend in the rod that holds it, it seems it has to go in the hook from the bottom.  I haven't figured out this can work.  I know from the maintenance manual that the base goes in the middle and is secured by the winged nut, but how to keep the rod in the hook?   And what the triangular black painted block of wood is for?
Anybody help me out?
Thanks, Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

Gene Beaird

Heh, I have the same issues with the jack in our 68. It seems Cadillac assumed it was just common sense how those parts all go together. I don't even seeing a diagram on the trunk lid. It certainly doesn't seem to be in the FSM.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

R Schroeder

If you were changing the rear tire , the block of wood would go under the front tire to keep it from rolling.

It almost looks like the wood should be stored in the card board box holder.
I would think the the card board box would go in first, then the jack, and then the tire.
Mine is not set up that way in my 78 Deville, but it seems it would make more sense.
Roy

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
The jack stowage is explained & shown in your owners manals.
Joe, be VERY careful with that styro-foam stowage box. They are very rare.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Glen

Slide the cardboard sleeve off the Styrofoam.  Then lay the jack in the Styrofoam with the hook in the center.  The lug wrench also lays in the Styrofoam but it can be inserted with the sleeve on.  Put the sleeve on then put the wheel chock (wood block) in the top of the Styrofoam.  It can go in two ways.  Put it in with the back of the chock as vertical as posible as opposed with slope, it will fit better with the base of the jack.  The spare tire goes in with the outside of the spare tire to the rear of the car.  Try to get the spare tire as upright as possible.  It is recommended that you put the valve stem near the top so you can check tire pressure without removing the whole shebang.  The hook goes through the rim and hooks on the loop behind. 

Put the Styrofoam and jack assembly in, the sloped part down.  The jack post should lay flat on the floor.  The base goes in on top of the chock top to the front of the car.  The hook goes through the base and the wing nut screws down on the base. 

The picture below is of my 300,000 mile Eldo so it looks pretty bad right now. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

R Schroeder

Man that is a jig saw puzzle for sure. Never would have gussed that one.
Roy

Gene Beaird

Wow!  The black wheel chock is OEM?!?  I thought my Grandfather made that. That's interesting!  Thank you.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Glen

Both of my parents 56 Cadillacs and my 61 CDV had the same black wedge of wood for the wheel chock.  I think they used it for a couple of decades. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

joeinbcs

Thanks, all who helped...finally got it in.
I didn't realize that the jack stand actually went through the box.  Once I had it assembled properly it finally went together.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.