News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Vent window locks or lack of on 57 and 58 Convertibles

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, November 11, 2012, 09:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   Does anyone know the reason for Cadillac not adding the vent window locks on 57 and 58  convertibles. It is very puzzling to me . Maybe other years as well .
  Thanks,
      Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think that the other GM Branded Convertibles didn't get the locks as well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Balkie 24172

Bruce ,
   Thanks for your response , but there has to be a logical reason for this .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

936CD69

Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, and my '57 Chev Sedan had the catches, so I would say that all the other closed vehicles had them.

One reason for having them in the closed cars would be an anti-theft device, whereas with the convertible, any thief would simply slit the roof.

Just imagine the money saved over the whole range of GM Models by not fitting them to the soft tops.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bill Balkie 24172

My 57 Seville and all other hard tops have the locks , but that window would be almost impossible to open left unlocked  when operateted by a window crank . I could see if it was a window that was opened by the movement of your hand  manually without a crank . Lets not lose focus on the original question . Why no vent  locks on convertibles ?I do not buy the argument about the soft convertible top , if that was the case why have door locks on the convertibles ?

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bill,

Door Locks are there to lock the vehicle up, and I believe if the Factories didn't put the locks on the doors, then they would not sell one vehicle.

Who in their right mind would buy a car that couldn't be locked.

The Vent Windows on a closed car can be opened, but it takes a long time, and such time would enable a thief to be seen, apprehended and marched off to the Police Station.

I onmce locked the keys in the ignition of my own '57 Chev Sedan, way back in around 1968, and I got in through the Vent Window opening, but, it took me over an hour of manipulating the lock, then carefully winding the winder with wire to allow me to reach in and remove the key, with another piece of wire.

Whilst doing this, I did get a few questioning people as they walked by as to if it was my car.

I didn't want to break a window, as I was on Apprentice wages, and didn't want to damage my car.   This car was the hardest of all my cars to get into without the key.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bill Balkie 24172

Bruce ,
  Thanks for your comment , i was being facetious about door locks on a convertible , but i still need to know the reason way convertibles do not have vent locks ?If some one wanted to break into a convertible why not just cut the top and open the door lock ?The non vent lock on convertibles  has me puzzled . And i know there has to be a logical reason for it .
  Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS